Chapter 13

I blink my eyes open, confused as to why I woke up. Then I notice that Hunter's heartbeat is stronger.

Is she...? Is she a... Is she like me now?

"Hey, Stella." She yawns, stretching her arms. Apparently she doesn't mind waking up with a wolf on her lap. Of course she doesn't.

I shift back to respond before I have the brain power stop myself. She just raises her eyebrows at my naked form and I fight the urge to blush. Though she maybe can hear how fast my heart is going.

Then I sober up, remembering what happened. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

Hunter cuts me off before I ramble too much. I never used to be nervous, let alone not be able to stop myself from talking. I was always the quiet type. "I'm fine, Stella." I continue to study her to look for injuries. I breathe in her scent and smell only older blood from earlier. "I'm okay," she cups my face to make me look her in the eyes.

My jaw tenses. We're very close. I could just lean in and... No. She seems to realize our close proximity and lets go. She blushes and pulls away, and, though I could be kidding myself, seems slightly flustered.

"I'm so sorry I bit you." It's the most honest thing I've ever said.

"Don't worry about it. Now I'm a hot bad a s s werewolf too." She smirks at me, then glances at the sky. "It's starting to get dark. We'll change soon."

"I would recommend stripping before you shift." I'm proud that I manage to say this with a straight face. I gesture to my shredded clothes and my body. Hunter bursts out in laughter that's so infectious that I can't help smiling. "I learned the hard way."

"Sure, act like you didn't enjoy beating up a supernatural creature that's older and stronger than you."

She knows me so well already. I can't help teasing her back. I flex, "Obviously she's not stronger."

Hunter grins, "Obviously."

Howls come from deeper in the woods and I can easily pick out Shiba's. They sound extremely pissed. That she-wolf must have finally gotten to them. But it isn't a warning. It isn't a declaration of war.

So we're probably safe from aggravated giant chihuahuas. Probably.

"Bloody hell." I grumble, noticing the sun setting and the moon raising slowly.

"You're not British," Hunter reminds me. I think she sees the full moon as well and is trying to keep the mood light.

"Oi, I know that. I just watch too many shows and I've picked up a few things."

I start shaking and frown. Why am I doing this? Hunter is shivering too, though its harder to tell with her because she still has clothes on. Man, that sentence could be taken so wrong.

Anyways, there's a fire that feels like it's taking it's time going through my veins.

Idiot, I scold myself, you're both shifting.

As soon as if think that, I hit the ground on all fours and I already am done. Hunter doesn't have time or muscle movement with the shakiness to take off her clothes before she joins me as a wolf.