Chapter 32

Once the noise from the other pack dies down enough, I let loose a howl of my own; a challenging one intended only for Shiba.

I feel fear trickle down my spine as I know my friends are going to go fight.

We stop near the edge of the trees, watching as the crowd of werewolves that are in their wolf forms part for Shiba's. Her pelt glistens in the sun. Dakota, Luciana and Hunter slink away, along the tree line, getting closer and closer to her pack.

"You are challenging me?" Shiba's voice booms in my head. I can hear the laughter of her pack in the mind link.

Rose leans against me lightly, keeping a steady pressure against my side to keep me focused.

"Not here. Your wolves could interfere."

"What about your mate?" Her eyes flick to Rose, who growls lowly.

I don't bother correcting her. "She refuses to leave my side."

Rose eyes me, surprised. Maybe if we both survive this, we can sort out whatever this is that we have.

"You are an alpha. Are you so useless that you can't order her around?" She snarls, seeming pleased at her attempt to put me down.

She doesn't know that I have dealt with worse. And those words that wounded me so much when I was younger were products of my own mind. If nothing else, it at least strengthened my resistance to overconfident people and their words that they know hurt.

"That's the difference between you and me. I don't order my pack around because I don't want to. You order your pack around because that's how you stay in power. By putting them down until the only reason they don't leave is because they fear what you'll do to them if they do. Who is the more useless alpha?"

I'm actually pretty proud of that monologue. It wasn't the best, but usually I come up with good comebacks hours after they would have been useful.

Shiba growls at us. I smirk at her and she pauses, studying us. I don't give her much of a chance to before I'm off, sprinting away with her and Rose hot on my trail.