Chapter 36

I drop Shiba's head on the ground, shaking. A whimper escapes my lips as I stare at the body.

I killed her. I decapitated her. I'm just as bad as her.

I barely register Rose's arms wrapping around me.

"It wasn't your fault you lost control. You're still a newer wolf, it took over. There was nothing you could do." She murmurs in my ear.

I swallow, tearing my eyes away from the gruesome scene before me. "We should... We should head back to my house and get a change of clothes before we go to her pack." To my surprise, my voice doesn't waver.

"Alright." She kisses my cheek and I try to ignore the worry coming off of her in waves. We begin walking, with her leading and steering me. After a while, she breaks the silence. "It really wasn't your fault."

"Wasn't it?"

"Your wolf took over. Frankly, it's a miracle you fought against it, let alone won."

"I don't feel much like celebrating."

One of Rose's arms is wrapped around my shoulder. "I know. I don't blame you."

She goes quiet again, probably waiting for me to speak next. It doesn't take long for me to ask a question. "What happened? I know I lost control..."

Rose nods knowingly when I trail off. "Wolves have instincts to protect their pack members and since you're an alpha, that instinct is stronger. It's especially strong if it's triggered by the harming of a 'wolf you consider to be your mate."

I think my blood just froze in my veins. I mean, I obviously know I like her, but to think of her as my mate... That's an entirely different thing. It definitely was her being hurt that triggered that anger, though.

I glance over at her and the corner my mouth twitches up when I notice her blushing.

"Well if we're going to be mates we should at least go on a date first." Ah, there's my sense of humor. It comes up in the weirdest times.

"Okay." Rose says, smirking at me.

What? "I was just-"

"I know. But otherwise you'll never get the guts so I'm taking it literally. So yes. When things die down?"

"S-sure." Now my voice shakes. Traitor.

My house is in sight, so we are either moving faster than I thought or time just has no meaning with Rose. It's probably the second one.

We climb in through my window because why not use this super strength for cool stuff? I grab clothes and toss them at her, keeping my back turned as the rustle of fabric comes from behind me. I pull on my clothes and turn around only when she tells me I can.

I grin because she looks adorable in my Pikachu shirt. She rolls her eyes and grabs my hand.

"Alright, you dork. Let's go meet up with our pack mates."