Chapter 43

Rose takes me to a clearing, not the one I killed Shiba in, and lays down a blanket.

"A picnic?"

She shifts nervously. "Are you okay with that?"

"Yeah, of course. But if ants come, we are moving to another spot."

Rose smiles at me and sets her backpack down. She sits and pats the blanket, signaling me to sit next to her. I plop myself down so close to her our shoulders brush with each breath.

We just look at each other for a while until Rose clears her throat and flushes. She begins taking things out of her backpack.

"I brought a cut honeycrisp apple, Italian bread and some grilled chicken."

I grin, "You remember my favorites."

"Of course I do," she says like it's the most obvious thing in the world.

I bite into a slice of apple and groan. "Honeycrisps are the gods of apples."

Rose tentatively tries one and makes a "not bad" face. "It's actually pretty good."

"They're the second most expensive apple, you know. And the most expensive one is like a hundred bucks for a bushel."

Rose stares at me for a moment, watching me as I chew the slice of heaven.

"How do you know that?"

"I bought some from this lady once that told me that. But it might not be true. You never know. Also my brain is full of useless facts. That's just one of them."

She leans back on her hands, and I might be staring because the sun is hitting her just right. Her hair is shining beautifully in the light and Rose just looks incredibly gorgeous. More so than usual.

And I may really want to kiss her right now.

"Tell me another fact."

"A group of bunnies is called a fluffle."

"That's adorable." She's looking at me like I'm a fascinating creature she can't wait to figure out. Her eyes are on me, but her hands are currently pulling out Italian bread. "They're still warm if you'd like some now."

I take one and thank her.

How in the world did she remember that I like this specific kind of bread? Because I'm sure I only mentioned it once, if ever. Does she remember that I don't like bread except for this kind?

How did I get so lucky?

The bread is delicious, the best I've ever had. "Though it could be the company."

I'm mentally high-fiving myself as she blushes. I think I just flirted. And I didn't even stutter or sound stupid so that's a bonus.

I reach out with one hand and grab hers, using my other to stuff my face with delicious food.

I glance over at her to see a tiny smile on her face as she looks down at our entwined hands.

Hello! That was a lot cuter than I thought it would be... Also, let me know if I messed up on anything because I have never been on a date before so I have no idea if I just won or failed at writing one. Thank you for reading and stay awesome!