Chapter 6

"Did you really have to beat him up so bad?" Hunter asks me later. We're at my house working on that stupid project.

"He was being insensitive and trying to act tough." I attempt to change the subject, "When's this bloody thing due?"

She giggles and before I can stop it, I can't help thinking to myself that she's adorable. "Where are you from? England?"

"No. I just watch Doctor Who."

"So you're secretly a dork!" She gasps playfully. I bat her arm.

"Not so secretly. I do wear Pikachu T-shirts and Minecraft T-shirts."

"You're a gamer girl as well? And you're single?" She asks the last question as though she's honestly baffled.

"Yeah," I shift, a little shy about my nonexistent love life. Honestly, I haven't dated anyone ever and have never kissed anyone either. Not to mention that I'm sixteen. Sue me, I'm an introvert. "When is it due?"

"In a month," Hunter replies, picking up the rubric.

I groan, "A month? Why are we doing this now?"

She looks up at me, "I don't procrastinate."

"Well, I was supposed to be the Queen of Procrastination but I didn't feel like going to the coronation." I say in a serious tone.

She bursts out laughing, and it's so cute and contagious I snort, which only makes us laugh harder.

"Stella!" My mom calls. Is she going to yell at me for laughing too loud?

"What?"

"Stella!" She calls again. Of course she didn't hear me.

"What?" I yell again, louder this time.

"There's someone at the door for you."

I frown. I'm not expecting visitors aside from Hunter and other than her, I have no friends. So who the heck is at the door?

I get up and walk downstairs. I can hear Hunter trailing behind me. It's both cool and a bit weird. I stop near the bottom of the stairs. The person at the door has a familiar scent and a strong, steady heartbeat.

I go to the door. My mom is there, waiting. A guy stands outside with a leather jacket and ripped jeans on.

"Hey, Stella." I'm about to ask him who he is when he gives me a wolffish grin. I stifle a sigh. Of course it's one of Shiba's lackeys. "Why don't we talk outside."

"I'll leave you to it." My mom clears her throat before heading back to the kitchen. I can practically taste her fear.

Hunter goes into his line of sight and he smirks. "I see you've already got yourself a pet."

"She's not my pet," I growl.

"Let's talk outside." It sounds more like an order than a request.

"Fine. Come on, Hunter." He glares at me, snarling. I raise an eyebrow, "She already knows, idiot. And anything you say to me you can say to her. Unless you're scared to talk with two females instead of one."

"She's a human. She's no threat to me."

Last night when we were walking and trying to find our way out of the forest, I was out of breath before she even broke a sweat. Even if new werewolves aren't as strong as older ones, she's still on better shape than I've ever been.

I walk out of my house. Hunter follows and stands by my side. I shut the door. "Talk, wolf boy."