Chapter 40

"So you're all fine with living in caves?" I ask, frowning.

"Yeah. Shiba forced us to live in them instead of our homes and we've gotten sorta used to it." A wolf in the front of the assembled group says.

"While I'm your alpha you can sleep wherever you'd like."

They all nod.

A male in the front shifts, cocking his head as if in thought. "Should we live off in the houses that we still have? And gather here when we're called?"

"Yes. This can be our meeting place. You can come here whenever you want, go whenever. Feel free to stay as long as you want or need."

Rose reaches out and holds my hand. "I know that this is going to be difficult at first, but these changes are going to do good. Think of the pack as a family. Shiba may have taken us all into a dark place, but if we stand together we'll be stronger than a god."

The wolves howl excitedly at her words and I smile, squeezing her hand.

A male wolf steps forward. "It sounds to me like you're weak." The female wolf next to him growls warningly. "I don't care that you're a true alpha. The last woman that lead this pack didn't do so good. So why are you any different? I could be a much better alpha than you, pup."

"I'm different because I don't want to dictate every aspect of your lives. I don't care who you love or what you do as long as you don't hurt someone."

"What about play-fighting?"

"That's fine. Just no murder or brawls." Rose answers. "This isn't going to be easy, especially for those of us that have been with Shiba for years, but just because society sees is as monsters doesn't mean we have to be monsters."

Silence follows her words and I feel inexplicably proud of how well she phrased them.

"And if I want to become alpha?" That same male questions.

"Then keep it to yourself, you leave, or you challenge me." I let my eyes flash red for a moment and his head bows slightly. His teeth have sharpened into fangs as he grits them with annoyance.

"Very well." He growls but says nothing more.

I hope he is keeping it to himself and isn't plotting.