Chapter 19

I turn to make sure my pack is okay when I notice Hunter gently leaning a battered looking Rose against a nearby tree.

I walk over and put my hand on Rose's shoulder. "What hurts?"

Asking if she's okay would be stupid. She's grimacing in time with every breath she takes.

She chuckles humorlessly for a moment before wincing. "Ouch. Everything. Since I'm the betrayer or whatever I got the worst of it. I'll heal, don't worry." Rose attempts to give us a reassuring smile. Blood dribbles from her mouth and there is a thin red sheen covering her teeth. "It's just a few broken ribs." She shrugs and instantly her face contorts in pain. "Oh, and a broken arm. Fuck that hurts."

"Can you walk? We need to get you to my house." This isn't good. I don't care she has supernatural healing powers, pain is never fun and blood coming from someone's mouth is never a good sign.

"Moving is... painful." She mutters, her eyes flickering as she tries to close them.

"Don't you dare close your eyes." I order. They immediately flash open and I'm not sure if this is a pack link thing but I can practically feel how much pain she's in.

I carefully lift her into my arms, ignoring everything other than Rose, Hunter and I and carry her bridal style back to my house as fast as I can.

I try not to move her upper body as I slowly climb the stairs. I set her onto my bed and can feel Hunter standing right behind me.

"Why is blood coming from her mouth? Did her broken ribs puncture a lung?" Okay, panicking now. Rose can't die, she's too young! I mean, I don't know how old she is but she's in my high school and anyways she's too young to die!

"No, no. She just took a few punches to the face." I breathe a sigh of relief. "I'm sorry. I should've fought harder. I could have protected her from this."

"It's not your fault. We just need to try to help the healing process along."

I run and grab duct tape and wrap it around Rose's arm and shoulder to make a sling.

I bite my lip and brace myself for the next part. "We need to see the extent of the damage to her ribs."

I push Rose's shirt up and force myself not to focus on how flat her stomach is. Now isn't the time to ogle at her, Stella.

Dark angry bruises cover her rib cage, but it's disappearing right before our eyes. She's going to be okay. She's going to be okay. I feel myself relax.

I grab Tylenol from the bathroom and give her one. Her expression softens and she seems to have fallen asleep somewhere along the way of us fussing over her.

I curl up on the floor and close my eyes. I don't know what's going to happen next with Shiba and her crazy ass pack of Neanderthals but I can guarantee I'll need all the shut eye I can get.