Chapter 33

I follow Rose through the forest. She knows this area much better than I do. We don't speak and listen to a few growls come from the angered alpha behind us.

Rose's body language lets me know when we are nearing our inevitable fighting location. We slow slightly, letting Shiba almost close enough to snap at our tails.

We stop in the middle of a small clearing and turn to face her. She is painting heavily, her sweat slicked side fur heaving as she stops, giving us a death glare.

"Smart thinking," she admits once she has calmed down enough to speak. "Luring me away from my pack to fight me two on one." Shiba smirks at me, "And here I thought you're about equality."

"I am. Rose wouldn't be able to focus over there. She could be killed so she came with me."

"Aw, how touching." Even in my mind I can hear the sarcasm. "So I'm fighting you? One on one? And you really expect your mate to sit by and watch as I tear you apart?"

"She isn't my mate," I tell her.

Shiba cocks her head, seeming surprised. But I know that she has something up her sleeve, something neither of us are expecting. I can only hope she doesn't kill me in front of Rose. That would devastate her, traumatized her. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, especially her.

Rose backs up until she is out of the clearing and in the shade underneath an extremely tall tree. She does not look happy about the fact she can't do anything without giving Shiba another reason to brag.

I focus on Shiba, shifting into a fighting stance, watching as she paces back and forth in front of me. Her eyes never leave mine. It's a little unnerving, but nothing I can't handle.

She's watching me, too. Studying me, my posture, my stance, everything. It's almost as if she could stare into my soul if she tries hard enough.

She suddenly lunges at me, teeth bared and claws out. I twist, avoiding her attack only barely. I realize with a pang of uneasiness that the last time we fought, she was going easy on me.