40| Jealousy and lies

I'm reading a book... trying to read. I have never had such a hard time focusing on something. Damn Vincent, ever since I got home yesterday and drew him, all I can see is his maniacal smile.

I go to the table and take out this last drawing and remember how yesterday Vincent kissed my hands. Like he belongs to me, worshiping his devil.

My phone vibrates on the bed and I approach it curiously. My stomach contracts right away.

Vincent.

I look at the time - seven o'clock in the evening.

"Hey?" I arch an eyebrow questioningly, as if he could see me.

"Hey devil." I can hear Vincent smiling.

I start walking up and down the room.

"Stop calling me that." I run a hand through my hair.

He only smirks in response, and I can imagine his expression.

"What do you want?" I'm not asking in the most friendly tone.

Vincent doesn't hesitate.

"I'm with Ricky. We're playing ping pong." It feels like he's laughing at me.

He's about to snitch on me. Ricky, flashes through my mind, but I immediately calm down, knowing that he won't do it. We are in this together. In addition, I am sure that most likely he will want to torment me first, and then force me to reveal all the cards myself. But these are just my assumptions and for sure they have nothing to do with reality.

"So what? Did you call me for this? I don't have to know about his every move."

Damn, why can't I be nice now?

"No," I hear him laugh. "Why aren't you with him?"

So here's the thing.

"Because I have my own life and things I like to do."

I count the seconds of silence and run my hand along the white wall... six, seven, eight...

"What are you doing?"

"I..." I glance at the book on my pillow, a Penelope Douglas erotic novel, and my cheeks begin to tingle. "I am reading."

"And what are you reading?" This attractive guy on the other side of the wire asks a question. Of course, everything worthy that I have ever read has disappeared from my head. Of course, I squint stupidly at the ceiling. I swear at myself and make a thoughtful face, although I have nothing to think about: my brain categorically refuses to work when interacting with Vincent.

"Just a love story." I say and immediately burn with embarrassment.

"A love story?" Vincent asks, sounds puzzled.

"Yes, I love romance novels. Got a problem with that?" I'm talking and I'm worried that he will consider me a typical stupid girl who can't handle anything but romance novels.

"Well, my last book was about medicine."

It's like he'll think I'm stupid now... wait, he's not a medical student. Does he read such books on his own will? Strange guy, that Vincent.

"Medicine? What the fuck do you care about medicine?" I am trying to mock him.

"Yeah, about book about cancer research..."

I don't listen.

I can't figure out who he is, but the fact that he is interested in such things makes him even more unusual and attractive to me.

There is a pause. He probably thought I wasn't listening to him.

"Will you come tonight?"

What?