Fil Fantôme

The walls were lined with sconces that lit up the room along with two large windows draped in satin curtains. The tiled floors were similar to a chessboard and its pieces were the various mannequins that donned lavish fitting dresses. Shoes, jewelry, and other accessories were mounted shelves with a perfect space of two inches between each item.

A sewing needle was akin to a painter's brush, the wielder that the power to create anything they desired despite its small size. The sharp needle in his pale hands was connected by a golden string. His lavender eyes scanned every inch of the ballgown. He wanted it to be perfect, absolutely perfect. But again, he found another fault. He sighs as his white hair fell over his face.

"Fojan?" a hesitant voice knocked upon the door.

"Yes?" he answers mindlessly. His attention was solely focused on his newest design. The blood-red dress cascaded to the ground just as it changed from orange to gold. The fabric was adorned with feathers that went around the waist and bodice with elaborate embroidery that crawled down the skirt.

The polished white door slowly creaks open, revealing a young woman with (h/c) hair. Compared to her husband, she did not don expensive clothing or fine jewelry. No suit or dress, just a knee-length coat over a long-sleeve burgundy sweater, a plaided skirt, and doc martins. She was rather simple and wore natural colors while he husband was more eccentric and bold.

The pair were two different people and for quite some time the relationship lasted upon the notion that "opposites do attract". But for them, there was rarely any common ground. She was quiet and intellectual while her spouse was influential and a trendsetter. Being the wife of a popular fashion designer would seem to have its perks; traveling, extravagant fashion shows, and the countless amount of money. Yet there were various downsides to being married to the legendary Fojan Barack.

Fojan never seemed to have time for his wife outside of work. She was the love of his life, his "muse", but he never showed it other than depicting her in his design sketches. Their relationship was glorious in the beginning, but as fame grew so too did the alone time that (Y/N) was forced to endure. As she ate dinner with him in the dining room, he was busy drawing and never bother speaking to her; while she slept in their bed, he was busy creating his newest design in his crafting space; and when she wanted to ask him to spend time together, he skimmed through his sketches and waved her off with a "That's nice, dear..."

And then there were (Y/N)'s dreams. She wished to open her own bakery, to become a popular baker, yet it was always Fojan who outshone her. He was a man, a man in a male-dominated world, thus he was able to rise faster than his wife. (Y/N) was already insecure enough about their marriage, but it also made her question her own capabilities as an individual. Just how long must she hold onto a failing marriage?

(Y/N) walked into her husband's crafting space. Her arms were tightly crossed as if she were desperately trying to hold herself together. The young woman dug her nails into the fabric of her sleeves, silently assuring herself to not hesitate before her husband -- well, soon-to-be ex-husband.

"I wanted to speak with you," (Y/N) released a shaky breath.

He paid all his attention towards his dress, never once glancing towards (Y/N). "Yes, dear?"

"Fojan," (Y/N) sighs, cutting him off, "I really need to speak with you."

Noting the frown upon her face, Fojan's smile falters. "Are you alright?" he asks with concern.

Fojan was unable to realize his own faults in the relationship. Fojan ignored the signs of (Y/N)'s loneliness and longing in exchange for work and success. His dreams were coming to flourish, his fashion empire expanding worldwide.