❅ 12 Days of Christmas ❅

Christmas Special

There were 12 days left till Christmas and while most were taking a vacation to spend time with loved ones, (Y/N) was not. Frost grew over the windows as the cold night engulfs the city avenue. The clinic's building was built long ago just like the city that surrounds it. Everything was brightly colored inside, mainly due to the festive Christmas decorations. The floors shined and portraits of animals were hung up on the walls. The air had a fragrance of flowers, yet the ones you would smell from disinfecting sprays or bleaches.

Most of (Y/N)'s staff had left for the day. The young woman only stuck around at the receptionist's desk to finish her paperwork for her animal patients and their owners. All papers vary from descriptions of illnesses in patients to possible treatments to patient physical assessments.

The clinic's entrance swings open with a light chime signifying a newcomer.

"We're closed," (Y/N) sighs as she continued typing away at her computer.

"I have four dogs that need to be euthanized," a woman, wearing an animal shelter shirt, grunted as she fought to control four dogs. One was a black Doberman with clipped ears who glared at everything he saw. The other was a dark brown Newfoundland who stood stiffy and gazed behind the bangs of his shaggy hair. There was a Siberian Husky, with pale blue eyes and black and white fur, who howled madly while the German Shepard, with a bandage over his right eye, whined and cowered.

"Is there something wrong with them?" (Y/N) asks, glancing towards the canines with furrowed brows, "Are they sick?"

"We saved these guys from a puppy mill. They were bred to be fighting dogs, and we're having trouble trying to reign them in," the woman explains.

Behavioral euthanasia is the term used for humanely ending a dog's life because of severe behavioral issues. Unless the dogs were a danger to others, such as other humans or animals, or even themselves, then they would be considered to be put down humanely. However, simply whining or barking or growling or pulling on their leases wasn't enough for the female veterinarian.

"I'm sorry, but I don't put down dogs just because they're behaving badly," (Y/N) explains, "There are other ways to help them."

"We don't have the time," the woman sighs, "Our shelter is full of animals and we can't take care of them! They're out of control and don't do well with other dogs except each other!"

(Y/N) sighs. She glances towards the dogs, each, though different in many ways, has gone through great tragedy and abuse. Their mistrust and fear were evident in their eyes.

"I'll take them," (Y/N) offered.

"Seriously?" the woman recoils.

"Yeah," (Y/N) turns off her computer and slips on her coat, which was draped over her rolling chair. She walks towards the woman and holds out her hand, "Besides it'd be nice to finally spend Christmas with someone."

The woman relents and hands over the leashes. Before (Y/N) could even ask any more questions or give her information if she wanted updates about the dogs, the woman quickly slipped out of the clinic. As soon as (Y/N) had her hands on the dogs, they immediately began to act out. They fought against their chained leashes and tried tugging out of (Y/N)'s grip.

The female veterinarian sighs, it was going to be a long walk home.

- - - - - -