Unsteady

Part One

        The music was as loud as thunder, almost making the cutlery on the cupboards rattle as hoots and hollers banged against the walls as party-goers danced. 

        A young man was numb to the entire endeavor, despite him being the host of the very party. He lay in his bed, his door closed in an attempt to seal himself from the world.

        His meshed black shirt revealed his pale tattooed skin and the muscles of his abdomen. He wore a pair of black pants with an ivory belt around his waist. Wild black hair was messily rained down his hard pillow and a soft pink blanket, a cheap yet precious gift, was draped over him.

        Being drunk was something Barrett was accustomed to being most of the time. Every hour was "happy hour" to him. But really, it was something that left him acting like a fool. Alcohol was a devilish poison, one to which Barrett was addicted. It erased the memories of his life, the ones ingrained in his soul, in hopes that he would forget them and feel nothing at all.

        From one moment, Barrett was partying and rocking out on his electric guitar, and the next, guilt had set in and so did the depression. It's a repeating cycle, for not only himself but for the people around him. And one such person, in particular, was (Y/N). 

        Through the blaring music, Barrett could hear the front door of his apartment open. He glances toward the digital clock on his nightstand and flinches. (Y/N) was off from work now.

        Walking down the corridor of her run-down apartment complex (Y/N) walked with her guitar case in hand and a bag of Chinese food in the other. The young woman had played in a local diner and got enough attention to get cash for some good takeout. But as she neared her shared home, she could feel the ground vibrating and her ears ring with the sound of rumbling bass.        

        A frown falls onto her lips and she immediately knew. Opening her apartment door, which was foolishly unlocked, (Y/N) bared witness to her entire apartment littered with trash and strangers having the time of their lives while not giving any sort of respect or decency. 

        "Hey!" (Y/N) shouted. Fury boiled in her body and she screams with all her might, "HEY!" All eyes turned to her as she screeches, "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE!" Everyone stared at her, not moving an inch. "I will call the fucking cops!" she swore.

        Grumbles and obedience were thrown out at her, nonetheless, the partygoers relented. As soon as the apartment was empty and everyone had left, (Y/N) slams the door and locks it. With gritted teeth, she storms towards her roommate's room.

        (Y/N) kicks the door open, "Barrett!" She turns to find Barrett in bed, his eyes red and swollen. "What the fuck, man!? You threw a fucking party and didn't bother to tell me!?"

        "You wouldn't have let me," Barrett mumbled.

        "Well, no shit!" (Y/N) sneered, "Look at the mess these fuckers made! Beer bottles and shit are all over the place!" As the sentence rolled off her tongue, (Y/N) suddenly paused. "...Where did you get the alcohol?"

        "The grocery store duh," Barrett answers.

        (Y/N) paled, panic setting in, "With what money?"

        Barrett doesn't answer. He watches as (Y/N) races out of his room. 

        (Y/N) darts towards her room and finds the padlock that was attached to her closet was broken into. The lock was tossed aside on the ground with a bobby pin right beside it. (Y/N) scans her closet, pushing aside what little clothes she had and finding a piggy bank. The young woman unseals the plastic container to find all the cash completely gone.