Circus Respawn

Life bloomed on the sunny horizon of the mountain, a yellow glow illuminated everything in sight. The tree hunkered low to the windswept hill as if it wanted nothing more than to be sheltered by the tall grass. A ribbon of turquoise weaved through the lush woodlands, a quiet stream of water with colorful koi carps.

A man sat beneath the oak tree, resting on a thick tree root. In his hands, the old man held a brown paper bag with small pellets. With a handful of scoops, he spreads the food across the water, allowing each koi carp to devour them hungrily.

The old man had a fringe of white hair around his balding scalp. His dark skin was wrinkled and spotted with freckles.

He overhears a gentle rustle coming towards him. His kind dark orbs fall upon a young woman, whose face was completely and utterly cold.

"Come and sit with me a while," the elderly man offers with a sympathetic expression, "Leave the demon to his demons. Rest your own soul. There is nothing else."

"No," the young woman simply mutters lowly.

The old man sighs, "Alright..." Digging into the pockets of his sweater, the old man seizes a drawstring pouch. He opens the bag and pinches a small amount of red powder from inside. He carefully pours the substance into the pond causing the fish to instant swim away as the translucent water became a dark shade of crimson.

The young woman stares harshly at the water, her nails digging into the skin of her palms.

"There is still time to go back," the old man attempts to sway her decision.

Instead of a reply, the young woman takes a step into the water. Instead of her skin being engulfed in cool water, it felt hot, boiling even. Nonetheless, it felt comforting. She takes a step deeper and instantly the water rises to her neck. She doesn't bother to look back at the saddened old man as she took one final step before descending beneath the bloody river.

- - - - - -

The restaurant was adorned with various party supplies. The walls were decorated with colorful streamers as confetti was left scattered across the floor. The smell of sweets still lingered in the air, despite the trash that various children had left upon the tables.

Fiery red hair sprawled over the young man's arm as he softly snored. His tired body was resting upon a table near the stage. He wore the attire of the circus ringmaster. He donned a black suit with a red coat. His hair was slicked back and in his rush to close the restaurant, he accidentally lost his tophat.

hated working at Mr. Moonberry's Circus. It wasn't even a circus, it was a kiddy diner!

The work was nothing extraordinary. He would serve food to the children, fix the arcade machines when kids complained about not getting their prize tickets, and clean up their drink spills. The work was boring, but the pay was even better; especially if your father owned Mr. Moonberry's restaurant chain.

Three animatronics stood still upon a nearby stage. One was a white-skinned bear with rose-colored cheeks and wore a strongman uniform in bright red color. Another was a fox with blue fur in a violet ballerina-like acrobat uniform. And lastly was the, ironically, animal tamer, a yellow bird with an orange beak and a glittery tiger print coat and black tie.