Pride, Prejudice, & Fear (II)

Part Two

Edgewood's library consisted of various tall walls filled with books, its inky treasures adorning the quiet room with ladders and balconies to reach its highest shelf. The walls are covered by tall shelves and long tables were lined along the center of the room with various chairs and small lamps. At the far end of the large chamber, there was a large balcony containing a statue of the University's creator. Hanging from its right arm that was bent in a salute were three competing college banners. Two of which were already taken by Rutherford University and Broad River College. Now only three were left -- One for Edgewood, one for Redland Academy, and one for Woodside Tech.

Merrick and (Y/N) were in the middle of the Scare Game's second challenge, hosted days after their sea urchin injuries.

The humanoid bird announcer whispers to the crowd that stood along the balconies with him. "We are at the halfway point of the second event," he declares, "And things are getting interesting."

"Only two teams left," the announcer whispered, "In a real scare you don't wanna get caught by a kid's parent, and in this event, you don't want to get caught by..." He pauses for dramatic effect, "The librarian."

Sitting at her desk near the entrance of the library, was a female cephalopod monster with eight tentacles for legs, gray hair, and donned a black dress and horn-rimmed glasses. She presses a finger to her lips and hisses, "Quiet..." She then picks up her glasses, one with a long handle at its side. The librarian returns to reading her romance novel.

The female octopus could hear everything in the quiet library, even someone's breathing. However, she needed her glasses to see anything.

"What's so scary about a librarian?" Merrick scoffs beside (Y/N).

A student studying in the library finally finishes his book. He gets up from the table, making his chair screech as he slid back. Suddenly the librarian rises from her seat. Although she seems to be small and inoffensive when sitting at her desk, she turns out to be a lumbering giant about the same size as the library when she stands.

With a large tentacle she picks up the student and growls lowly, "I said "quiet"..."

She throws the student through the dome of the library. He flies through the air, slamming onto the bark of a tree, before collapsing into a shallow river.

Merrick and (Y/N) gawk at the sight. The Fawnling releases a shaky sigh before turning around and returning to her slow walk. Merrick follows behind (Y/N) who slowly inches towards the back of the library. However, he found the extremely laggard unbearable.

"Go faster!" he sneers.

"No," (Y/N) shakes her head, "We can't let her hear us."

Noticing Woodside Tech inching faster towards the other side of the library, Merrick growled. He bolts forward, leaving (Y/N) behind.

"Merrick!" she gasps.

Merrick books it towards a book ladder near the statue and climbs on. It makes a loud creak and everyone stops. With horrified eyes, everyone turns to the librarian. She stood near a nearby shelf and looked through the romance section. But when she heard Merrick, she whipped towards his direction. Without her glasses she couldn't see him, thus she ignored the sound.

(Y/N) released a sigh of relief only to gasp once she saw Merrick trying desperately to climb the ladder. Merrick finally reaches the statue and stretches to grasp the banner. She almost gets it only for the ladder to wiggle from its tracks. Slowly ladder falls back and Merrick lands with a thunderous slam. The librarian spins towards the sound and quickly runs towards Merrick. Her tentacles poised to grab him. The Kalidah cringes, waiting to be yanked only for the librarian to suddenly turn around.