How to fix a musical

BMC and DEH have some major flaws. Some flaws that could probably be fixed by a couple small changes or a rewrite.

Dear Evan Hansen first. It should have learned more into dark comedy, rather than trying to justify Evan's actions. It should have focused more on how messed up what he did was, and how he was slowly turning into the villain.

I do not have social anxiety, so I can't exactly comment on the portrayal of that, but many people who do have experience with it have said that the musical doesn't do a very good job. Evan's social anxiety should either have been portrayed more realistically or shouldn't have been there at all. Rather than being socially anxious, something he never comes off as anyway, he should just have been awkward or shy, which is what social anxiety is wrongly presented as in the original show.

Also, Jared needed more focus and screentime. His cut song Goin' Viral would really fit with the dark comedy aspect of this pitch. It would need to show that he's not just some one dimensional asshole whose only purpose in life is to put down other people. It would need to show that he's actually deeply insecure and only uses humour to cover it up, a fact which is only shown roughly twice, and even then, you really have to read between the lines. THIS SECTION IS NOT JUST BECAUSE I LOVE JARED AND KLEINSEN.

'Connor' should either have appeared more after his death, or not appeared at all. Personally, I think the first option would be the best, as when the fictional version of him Evan created does appear, he sort of acts like a window into Evan's thoughts and psyche. In the original show, after his suicide, he appears for a couple minutes to talk to Evan, before disappearing for massive periods of time

Now, time for Be More Chill. I'm going to get the obvious one out of the way. Jeremy should not have ended up with Christine. There is no way that should have been the end of the musical. Christine just... didn't like him. And almost destroying the world shouldn't have changed that. But you know who does like him? The REAL love interest? The person he should have ended up with?!? THE- Michael, it's Michael. I don't think ANYONE is surprised by that. He should have ended up with Michael. Him ending up with Christine is just... wrong. It says that if you do one good thing, you deserve to get the girl and have everything work out. Sometimes people just don't like you.

Hell, maybe the ending should have been completely ambiguous! Like, it just sort of... goes back to normal. That would have clarified that Christine is not into Jeremy, Michael is and that Jeremy's dad finally knows how to put on trousers!

Also, the play would have been much more powerful if Michael was the one who got squipped instead of Christine. I mean, just look at this animatic:

https://youtu.be/PWtXV1X334A

The fact that Michael's eyes go back to normal when he tells Jeremy he loves him... it's just... the emotions. No, but, seriously this would have been so much more emotional than it being Christine. Also, using women as prizes... not cool SQUIP...