Blind Date (Boyf Riends)

(First person 🎮)

I'll be the first to admit I haven't been taking the breakup well. I mean, obviously I know there's nothing I can do about it. Christine's aroace, and I'm happy we're at least still friends and broke it off on good terms. I won't pretend I'm not still sad about it, I mean, I didn't know it was humanly possible to eat this much ice cream, but still, I can't be mad.

And anyway, I have more friends than I've ever had before, and two of those friends have, for some reason, decided to set me up on a blind date. I mean, I'm not complaining, anything to get my mind off Christine, I guess.

So, yeah, Rich and Jake set me up on a date with someone I probably don't even know, who probably won't even show up. Maybe they found out it was me, and got so grossed out they ditched me. I wouldn't want to go on a date with me either.

As I was tapping on the table of the booth I was supposed to meet this mystery person in, I heard the door open behind me. I didn't turn my head, I was frozen in place. Footsteps got closer and closer, until this person would have had to have been standing directly behind me.

"J-Jeremy?"

I held my breath. I recognised that voice.

Slowly, I turned my head around to see none other than my best friend, Michael Mell, standing behind me.

I didn't know what to do, so I immediately burst out laughing.

"OH- oh my god! I can't believe Rich and Jake set me up with my best friend! This is ridiculous"

He laughed nervously and put his hand behind his head, staring at the floor

"I, uh, I guess you don't want to continue the date then"

"Oh, no, no, dude, I'd love to. Platonically of course. And I'll have to talk to those two about this"

Michael gave me an awkward smile and lowered himself into the seat across from me. I love Michael's smile. It's sort of subtle and perfect... and real. No homo tho.

"So, come here often? ~"

I expected him to laugh at this feeble attempt at flirting, but instead he just started stuttering back a reply, face red.

"I... uhh, you see... umm"

"Micha, I was joking"

I gave a nervous chuckle and he seemed to catch on and gave one back. We fell into an awkward silence. I was shocked. Michael is my best friend, silences with him are never awkward. Something must be wrong.

"So, everything okay with you?"

It was a weak conversation starter, I'll admit, but at least it could have given me some idea of why he was acting so weirdly.

"Yeah, yeah, no, I'm fine. Anyway, what's the deal with Rich and Jake?"

"Oh yeah, that was a whole thing. Basically, they thought I wasn't taking the breakup well and said they set me up with someone, wouldn't even tell me their gender, and Rich was, like, sniggering the whole time. Then I finally agreed to turn up, and, yeah here we are. On a date with my best friend"

I chuckled at the last part. This was all so unbelievable.

"So, what did they say to you to get you here?"

I was trying to make conversation, but I was also genuinely curious.

"Actually, it was Christine who convinced me to come"

"It was WHO?"

Michael nodded and chuckled a bit, as I was just dumbstruck. Christine, of all people, set me up on a date with my best friend of 12 years?!? My ex set me up with my best friend...