Chapter 6

Vanessa ended up leaving earlier than expected

She found out I was flying back to Cali alone and decided to change her flight date to the same day and time as mine.

Though I'm a grown adult and can manage on my own, the comfort from someone familiar is exactly what I needed.

On the flight back home, she gives me tips and advice on how to act in the interview. She even makes suggestions on what I should wear.

My eyes widen when she suggests a dress with a low V cut.

At the mere idea of it I automatically said thanks but no thanks.

I can figure it out, I'm sure.

I'm on a mission and that's to obtain a job, not show off the goods to my potential co-workers.

We eventually land and I go home and rest and when I mean rest, I mean I do absolutely nothing on the days leading up to the moment that might potentially change my life.

The idea quickly turns out to be a bad one which is ludicrous because these are the moments I look forward to.

The house is quiet.

There is nothing for me to clean, no one else to cook for.

What more could a girl ask for?

Except it turns boring. I'm used to having a house full of family and now it's radio silent.

I watch YouTube videos to pass some time and then decide to bake to fill the hours. It always lifts my mood but after baking a batch too many, the reminder that I'm in this ginormous house alone is depressing.

On the day before my interview I make up my mind.

I'm going to the gym.

Matt will be a great distraction.

I dress in a simple black t-shirt and yoga pants. Put on some sneakers give myself a quick run over in the mirror and once I'm satisfied I drive over.

The commute doesn't take long and when I walk past the gym doors my shoulders sigh with relief, the familiarity hitting me again.

It's been a while.

A long while, in fact.

"Trinity? Is that you?" Matt walks up to me from where he was leaning against the registration counter talking to who appears to be a new employee.

"Hey," I greet with a smile and he tells the male he'll talk to him later before walking over and immediately enveloping me in a tight hug.

"Shit, I missed you. What's it been? Two months?"

"Three." I grin as we pull apart, enjoying seeing a friendly face.

"Fuck," His hazel eyes glint at me, scanning me head to toe but not in a sexual or demeaning way. "You look good. Happy."