Chapter 40

We somehow managed a shower, clean clothes, and a pot of coffee within thirty minutes

Lincoln and I hightail it from the cabin to Grace's place and find that everyone is already there.

Including Dylan who stares a little too long at Grace who seems pissed as she tosses her bags into the truck.

At the sound of our truck approaching everyone turns to stare.

I look at Lincoln and he nods, knowing what I am conveying.

Lincoln rounds the truck but not before I open the door and close it behind me. Lincoln lightly skims my lower back, reminding me that we're together in this and that he understands the front we must put on for a little while longer.

A skitter of goosebumps breaks out across my body and I force myself to focus on the friends in front of me and not on how right he feels touching me.

Grace is the first one to stomp over to us and before she can say a word, I extend a cup of coffee that catches her off guard for a moment.

"You know this doesn't make up for you and Carmel ditching us last night," She says as she takes a swig of the fresh caffeinated drink.

I shrug, "Made it back safely and things turned out just fine." I steal a glance at Linc whose eyes are glinting with knowing and mischief. I smile before turning back to Grace. "I am sorry. I should've told you, but I assume your night ended well?"

She looks at me pointedly but I won't say a word. She and I both know what I'm talking about.

Grace dips her chin then shrugs and my brows furrow in question. She shakes her head lightly before taking another swig and changing the subject.

"God, this coffee is amazing! Just how I like it. I guess I can forgive you for leaving me behind."

Grace throws herself on me, nearly spilling her coffee in the process as she pulls me tightly against her.

I wrap my arms around her and though I have questions I won't push her. She'll tell me one day. At the thought, I find I can't contain a few tears of my own. She's leaving and who knows when I will see her?

"Hey, how long are we supposed to stand here before we're invited to this going away party? I want in on a hug too before I leave." And Brynn launches herself around us, Marigold and Carmel following suit and topping it off with Lincoln cradling us all together.

We stand like that for a moment until Grace and I gasp for air.

"Get off, get off!" She squeals and I hear Dylan in the distance chuckling, "Need some savin' Miss Grant?"

"I really hate y'all." Her lip wobbles again, "But I really love y'all too. God, I need some sleep, I'm sure my new roommate will think I'm baloney."

"Baloney?" Lincoln muses, still standing beside me.