Chapter 20

She doesn't think I realize but I'm beginning to see through the fissures of Trinity Rosales

I know she's been feeling lonely these last few days and as tough as she is, she misses her family.

From what I know, she's never been separated from any of them this long and it's only natural for her to feel homesick, especially on days like today when all the family has gathered around.

I tried getting out of fixing the fences for a while to comfort her but it was an urgent matter that required all hands on deck.

Although I was a tad concerned, I knew Grace would make the transition here a little easier for her. Or at least I was hoping.

In the afternoons, Trinity always had a glint of desolation. Arriving and immediately locking herself in her room.

I tried asking if she wanted to hang out and she flat-out refused me.

It was the same the next few days, we woke up and I drove her to Mama and Papa's home where she spent the day with Grace.

I notice the same now. I can see she genuinely enjoys my little cousin's company but there's also a longing in her eyes. It's obvious seeing me around my family reminds her of hers.

I can't imagine, they all have a really close bond. Closer than I do with mine.

I watch Trinity mask it though as Carsen explains the rules of polish horseshoes. She has a smile on her face compared to minutes ago when I saw her wiping at her tears.

Music blasts in the background as Carsen announce's, "Let's get into teams of two. Boys vs girls." He grins and Carmel, my little cousin's best friend immediately sits it out, waking over to sit beside Carsen's girlfriend, Samantha. Neither have ever been one for playing, instead settling to sit back and watch.

Carmel's gaze locks on mine briefly and I dip my head in acknowledgment. I didn't expect to see her here after she suddenly decided to move to a different city but I'm not opposed to her presence. Who am I to tell her what to do?

"You and me?" My ears tune into Grace who's asking Trinity to be her partner. She easily agrees with, "sure."

I pair up with Carsen who is a champion at all of these games. Cody, his twin, pairs up with one of our new ranch hands, Dylan.

Cody and Dylan decide to play first against Brynn and Marigold so Trinity can get a better understanding of the game.

We watch the intense match back and forth. I don't know how this game can get so competitive but everyone here seems to possess the trait.

This explains all the gold and silver medals in our family trophy room. The Grants are legendary in this part of the state when it comes to horseracing and any other game.

Minutes later the girls win and they celebrate by bumping their hips together.

Next up is Carsen and I and we don't play around.