Chapter 29

I don't bring up the incident with Carmel and her sister to Lincoln for the remainder of our trip

This weekend was for Lincoln and me alone and it couldn't have ended on a better note.

With a wonderful and delicious breakfast from our charming and comedic private chef, Marty Koa lll—I'm not joking that was seriously his name which was hard for even me to believe after all the jokes the man told—Lincoln and I strolling down the sides of the river, and finally closing off in a relaxing couple's massage in one of the friendliest spas known to man.

It was the best and even as we drive back to Livingston, I feel alive. Serene. More than I ever have before.

My eyes take in the scenery, feeling blissed before the thought about what's going to happen now filters in.

I didn't anticipate having this much fun with Lincoln nor did I think he would put so much effort into one date.

I'm pondering how to approach this conversation when Lincoln squeezes my hand gently.

Another act I didn't expect from him.

Ever since we got in the SUV he hasn't let go once as if we're somehow anchored to each other.

"Everything alright over there or have you dozed off on me yet again?" He quickly looks over at me and I flash him a small smile.

"Still alive and breathing."

"Thank the Man above."

I snicker softly and squeeze his hand back.

Why does it feel so right?

I swallow and Lincoln turns down Alan Jackson, "Uh oh, sense a serious talk coming. Apparently, you were thinking hard over there huh?"

"It's how us women are," I mention, and Lincoln grunts, "I'm beginning to see that."

We drive another half mile when I finally ask, "What are we going to do when we get back to the ranch?"

"I'm not sure, maybe bathe with the pigs some more."

I slap his shoulder realizing it was harder than I anticipated and with a wince I apologize, "Sorry," at the same time Lincoln clutches at his arm, "Fuck, Sunrise. I think I got your hand tattooed on my arm."

"I'm sorry, it was a natural reaction on my part but you shouldn't have said that! It's not like I wanted to. Someone couldn't man up and do the challenge himself."

He chuckles, "Wasn't the one who lost, baby."

I roll my eyes, "Whatever. And don't call me baby. I hate that."

"Noted." A pause then, "You looked sexy as hell by the way if that's any consolation."

My brows raise to meet my hairline at his words.