Chapter 9

I pop a potato chip in my mouth as Vanessa and I scroll through HBO Max

It's been days since we've seen each other and decided to call it a movie night or from the direction our conversation is heading, telenovela night.

"I still can't believe you've never watched Game of Thrones." She remarks and I shrug, "Never really cared for these shows really. I grew up watching telenovelas, Vanessa, what do expect?"

I pop another chip into my mouth.

In all reality, I have never watched an American TV show in my life. My mom, siblings, and I grew up watching Mexican soap operas that were just amazing. Though I never really watched for the romance lovey-dovey stuff. The plotlines and dramas were just too good and always left us on the edge of our seats every night.

Twenty-four hours until the next one was painful. On the weekends? Plain torture.

Vanessa sighs and turns to me, "So no Game of Thrones?"

I only lift up a shoulder, "I'm not against it."

Vanessa bites down on her lip as I know she's trying to decide, "Now I'm curious as to these soap operas. Mad has mentioned that's what y'all used to do but we've never watched one, her and I. We were always too busy with school and work."

"Well, there are many," I state simply, cleaning the salt off my hands."Which one would you want to watch?"

"I don't know, you tell me. Which was your favorite?"

"Don't have one." I pause then, "But I know Madison's."

Vanessa's mouth drops. "Show me, show me, show me!"

I chuckle because Vanessa is like a toddler. Worse than Mia for sure. Not that I'll tell her that. I don't think she would even find it offensive.

I don't think.

I search up the show and look for a website where they have all the episodes of Madison's favorite telenovela.

"It's roughly two hundred episodes," I inform her. "I've never watched it fully but Madison was obsessed. Didn't let any of us use the iPad. Got home from school and played four episodes. Every day. I think she finished in a month or two."

"Oh yeah, I'm ready for this and–" Vanessa gasps, sitting up straighter as I hit play on the telenovela. "Who is that?" She walks over to the TV and flutters her lashes at the male protagonist. "Oh my goodness! The guy is so dreamy. I've never seen anyone like him."

"Just wait until you hear him speak," I utter, rolling my eyes.

I'm not going to deny it, the guy is one of the hottest guys that's ever appeared on Spanish TV. He not only has the looks but the voice that suits the roles perfectly.

Not too deep, not too soft, just right.

"What's his name?" Vanessa asks and I raise a brow, "Please don't tell me you haven't heard of William Levy."