Chapter 18

After the fence broke I didn't see much of Lincoln

After the fence broke I didn't see much of Lincoln. We woke up early, he drove me to his grandmother's home where I hung out with the Grant women for the day.

Grace spent that time making final touches on the ginormous Fourth of July event but the day of, I see her rough sketches and detailed answers didn't do the day justice.

I watch as a bouncy house is set beside the Grant home along with a bungee trampoline and a freakin' Ferris wheel.

My jaw drops.

This isn't the Fourth of July, this is a Grant festival as Grace had previously mentioned.

Stands of BBQ, burgers, hot dogs, and refreshments are being placed around the main houses' backyard along with a few other games and activities.

"Holy–Grace! You outdid yourself!" I observe with shock and admiration as she grins, "Isn't it great? The twins usually plan this day but since I'm twenty now, I get to take over. Not bad huh?"

I shake my head, "I don't know why you want to be a fashion designer. Event planner seems to suit you more."

She blushes, "Oh, I don't think so. I can get pretty shy."

I gesture at the bouncy house genuinely serious, "But where are the children? Do any of you have kids?"

Grace beams, "What are you talking about silly? That's for us." She leans in and whispers, "The ranch hands constantly frown upon it but when they get drunk, they go into the house and jump." She snickers, "It's the funniest thing."

I chuckle lightly, not even against it knowing I'll probably do the same. "Well, that should be fun."

"Wait until we film them and post it on Instagram. They'll be the talk of the town if not the country."

Grace and I walk around the property one more time inspecting that every activity is in order then head inside the house for a drink.

The days have gotten hotter since July came in, I can't imagine how it'll be come August.

"Hey, Mama," She greets Mrs. Grant who's pulling out a tray of muffins from the oven. "Hey, darlings." She places them along with the cupcakes, a huge Fourth of July cake, and some appetizers.

"Mama," Grace places her hands on her hips, "I got food catered to so you wouldn't have to do all of this."

"Hon, you know it's tradition for me to make the cake. Besides, I love baking. It's therapeutic."

Grace shakes her head as she stares at me, "Honestly, Trinity has more of your qualities than I do. If you were to be her granddaughter-in-law..."

My eyes bulge at her implication, "Oh uh, not planning on ever getting married. Sorry about that."

Thankfully Lincoln walks in at that moment stopping them from further questioning me.

I watch as he wipes sweat from his brow, his clothes are all covered in dirt evidence of the work he's done all day.