Chapter 21

I'm not sure what changed between yesterday night and this morning

I'm not sure what changed between yesterday night and this morning. It may have been the alcohol I consumed way too quickly making its way to my head and making me slightly delusional but I swear Lincoln and I became friends. As in, real friends.

I don't know the steps toward friendship but the words we exchanged last night definitely felt like something an employee and employer wouldn't say to each other.

I stare at him across the desk, where he's taking all of his grandmother's ideas into consideration.

If we indeed did take that step, I don't regret it. I may be a little...assertive and probably a little insensitive at times but I know when someone's being genuine.

Lincoln was being genuine when he saw me yesterday. Despite the consumption of alcohol I drank to ease the heartache a little he saw me and I saw him.

He and I, our immediate family were nowhere around--one of ours forever--and I wanted to know he could count on me too.

Fear settles slightly into my stomach but I remind myself, friends

It's strange but we can be that.

"It would be wonderful if we could add rock to the bathroom but not too much it would leave it looking like a cave." Mrs. Grant shakes her head back and forth as I sip the coffee Lincoln made me this morning to help with my slight hangover. "And no looking too modern either with all those fancy lightings. We want people to feel like they are arriving right at home, not into an alien dimension."

Lincoln chuckles as he makes note of his grandmother's ideas.

After our fun weekend and my settling in, it's finally time to get down to business.

Since this meeting began I've been trying to tie Mrs. Grant's ideas together and keep my growing restlessness at bay. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my line of work and enjoy it but the woman has so many plans for the lodging they need a little narrowing down. 

My heart fills with empathy. Poor Grace, I can see where she put in the effort to get things organized so kudos to her.

Either way, things need to get established.

"Mrs. Grant, would each cabin receive the same layout or would you like a slightly altered variation for each?"

She ponders my question for a moment, "Well, we wouldn't like them looking all identical. What's the fun in that?"

"Grandmama, I see the cabins are already constructed but we need to narrow this down. Are you looking to remodel the area or simply do something cosmetic?"

"Cosmetic?" She questions, her brows slightly furrowing, "The women use cosmetics so, of course, we would need that. Men use it now too, hon."

I stifle a grin as Lincoln shakes his head, hiding a smile of his own, "That's not what I meant, Mama. I mean since the basics of the house are built, would you just like a simple change like a retile or paint job? An update if you will. We're talking about the bathrooms and kitchens for each cabin. An entire remodeling would require months, maybe a year for the five homes. And that's making assumptions of things running smoothly."