Chapter 36

It's been a hectic last few days for everyone with all the packing and adjustments taking place

Mama and Papa leave this afternoon, while Cody and Carsen have already flown out to visit their ill mother. Hayden has taken the reigns fully on our architectural business while I temporarily take over things here at the ranch. And Trinity, well, Trinity is keeping Grace company in her last days at home. I've tried to convince her to spend one night with me but the girl is loyal. She's staying with Grace until she departs for college. Then, she said, she may consider moving back into the cabin with me since she values her privacy. Which I respect.

Man, I never thought I would be that boyfriend who's constantly wanting to be with his girlfriend. Before Trinity, I valued my space just as much.

As I rush over to the main house the promise I made to Trinity replays in my mind. We've taken the next step in our relationship. She trusts me and I won't let her down. She means too much to me for that.

Which means I have to put my best poker face on and not grin like an idiot when I see her.

I pull up just as Mama and Papa are exiting the house with Grace and Trinity in tow.

"I'll miss you girls." I hear her telling them as I close the door to my truck. Her bright teary gaze turns warm as she looks to her one and only granddaughter, the closest she's got to a daughter. "I hope you have fun off in college. Are you sure you're okay with us–"

"Mama," Grace waves her off. "We've gone over this many times already. Go. We'll be fine. I'll be fine. You don't need to drop me off at college any longer."

Tears gather in my grandmother's orbs. "Alright. I just love you so much. I want you to remember how much you mean to me."

A few tears escape Grace as she holds on tightly to her, "I know Grandmama. I love you too."

"And don't think I'll forget about you, Trinity." She turns to place a motherly hug on my girlfriend, her next words have my throat filling with emotion. "I've grown very fond of you."

Trinity agrees and my heart swells even more.

This is my family.

She's family.

I clear my throat as I stride over to them and my grandmother's eyes shoot over to me. "Well, look who decided to make himself seen."

"Grandmother."

"Oh, my son. Come here."

She hugs me and whispers, "You better lock that girl down before I get back. Or else I'll take matters into my own hands."

My eyes round and with a gentle pat and a final goodbye, she climbs up into the RV where Grandpapa waves one last time.

The three of us watch as dirt kicks up behind the wheels.