Chapter 34

Another date with Lincoln

Another date with Lincoln. My heart sings and moves to its own rhythm knowing this isn't our last 'hang out' together.

At least, that's what I keep telling Grace it is.

The girl is onto us and I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before the entire Grant family finds out.

And I'm not sure it's something I'm ready for.

"I'm so happy you're here." I close the door to Grace's cabin and an already grinning Lincoln beams. "Couldn't wait to see my handsome face?"

He leans in for a kiss and I jump back. In a bit of a panic, I glance behind me and find the curtains still. Phew, thank God Grace decided to sleep in today. College is starting for her soon and she's trying to squeeze in a few more z's before the semester begins. Still, the girl may have gotten up to spy on me.

"Lincoln," I hiss. "Not here, you know better than that."

"Do I?" he asks, eyes bright. "Ladies first."

"Don't look at my ass." I narrow my eyes before stepping down the short steps.

"Now I'm definitely going to look."

I roll my eyes but bite down on my lip.

Once he has me safely in the truck and we're a distance away I lean back, "So, explain to me why this date of ours is at the butt crack of dawn?" I tilt my head to look at his profile, "Is this when you kill me or something? Because if that's the case, I'll knock you into the next world first."

He chuckles, "I don't doubt it but no, it isn't."

"Hmm."

"I have other ideas in mind. Unless you consider kissing a form of torture?"

My heart begins to pick up its pace. "You brought me here to make out?"

"Is there a problem with that?" My eyes round, taken aback by his honesty, and he looks over at me, a serious look on his face.

"No, no there isn't." I finally answer and a smirk replaces the looks on his face, "Good."

We drive for another twenty minutes or so until Lincoln stops the truck a small distance away from a hilltop clearing.

"We need to walk for a few to get where we need to be. Can you handle that?"

I merely unbuckle my seatbelt, open the door, and slam it behind me.

I settle my hands on my hips. "Well?"

Lincoln is grinning as he closes the door to the truck. "Race you to the top?"

"Not fair, I brought boots. I can't run in boots." Besides I'm a horrible runner but he doesn't know that. I won't back down from the challenge.

I pause then before he can get another word out I'm running towards the top of the hill.