Chapter 27

Things fly by smoothly for the rest of the afternoon

Smoreology class doesn't start for another few hours so Lincoln and I use that time to explore the ranch and resort.

Imagine my shock when they inform us the property is made up of forty thousand acres of land!

I didn't even know one could own so much!

I mean, in all honesty, who needs all that space?

I take into account the wide range of cattle, horses, other farm animals, multiple cabins, buildings, restaurants, spas, and conclude that with a place as simply extravagant as this, it is no wonder the owners have as much as they do.

As I usually do—and I'm sure Lincoln would be opposed if he knew—I make mental notes on the layout and draw different inspiration from the ambiance and service of the ranch.

The evening eventually comes upon us and Lincoln and I gather around the bonfire where other couples both young and old surround the place. Even families have shown up for the laid-back class.

As the smoreologist teaches us the simple yet fancy techniques, I can't help but glance over at Lincoln who's roasting the tasty confection over the fire.

The fire casts his handsome complexion in shadows, his stubble lightly coating his defined jaw.

The feeling of his lips moving against mine reminding me of the feeling of said facial feature.

Lincoln hasn't bothered to try anything on this trip so far.

Unless you count him trying to fight to hold my hand but other than that? Respectful.

After our lunch this morning, I've taken his advice and been nothing but myself.

Just because it's a date doesn't mean I need to change my personality and appearance from head to toe.

My eyes seem to blur as I stare into the fire.

Images of my past relationship with Sean replaced the warm sight.

It felt nowhere near as authentic as today has.

The first date was awkward and a bit uncomfortable but I brushed it off as first date nerves. And didn't think much of it as over time, our connection gave its way to ease.

I haven't felt that way with Lincoln.

I know I shouldn't compare my relationship with Lincoln with that of my ex but the more I think about it, the more of a farce it seemed.

On my behalf at least.

With Lincoln, on the other hand, it feels safe.

It always has been and maybe that's why I was more aggressive with him than anyone because deep down a part of me knew, knew that he and I had a fragment of compatibility.