Chapter 25

I've officially experienced the scariest moment of my life

After losing my mother, nothing has frightened me as much as hearing that Trinity had passed out due to heat exhaustion.

What were they even doing out training in the middle of the day in this weather?

They should've known better than that.

I'm wearing down the wooden floors, about to lose it if I don't hear anything soon when Doctor Watson leaves the room and I about tackle the woman.

"How is she?" I demand and she gives me a warm smile, as if that will soothe me. No, only seeing her will.

"She'll survive Lincoln. I've hooked her up to an IV. Just make sure she wears as little clothing as possible. Her body is not used to this weather and needs as much hydration as she can get."

"Can I see her?" I ask impatiently and she nods, "But please give her time–"

I walk into the room before she can finish and that's when I see Trinity in a tank top and loose shorts, her lids closed over her beautiful eyes.

My muscles relax for the first time in what feels like years. I breath out a sigh of relief at the sight of her.

I click the door softly closed and her eyes snap open.

"Hey," She greets softly once she realizes it's me and I stride over, dropping a kiss on her lips.

I pour out my deepest emotions in that one gesture of affection and she chuckles against my lips.

"Who told you you could just walk in and kiss me?"

"I did." I run my hands down her hair, noticing nothing out of the normal other than a warmer flush to her cheeks. "Are you alright?" I shake my head as guilt settles in my heart. "I should've gone with you–" I begin and she places a gentle hand on my arm, stopping me from further self-reproach. "Hey, it's not your fault. And don't blame Grace for this. I was the one who suggested we go outside in the blazing sun. I didn't drink enough water yesterday or this morning to keep from constantly going to the bathroom.

I frown, "That's such a horrible idea."

"I know," She agrees. "Now that I have the IV, I have no other choice but to pee a lot. It's the only way they'll let me off of this." She gestures at the tube feeding her liquids.

I shake my head. "You should've just drank water from the beginning. You're going to have to go to the bathroom either way now but," I lean in and confess, "I'm so fucking glad you are okay."

She glances away. "So am I. I'm thankful to be here."

I reach for her free hand and drop a kiss atop it.

I've never felt so affectionate for anyone. No woman has evoked these emotions within me but I can't stop touching her.

It's almost as if the contact assures my mind that she's okay and that she's here.