Chapter 16

I know what you may be thinking; what I told Lincoln yesterday is something outside of our control

I know what you may be thinking; what I told Lincoln yesterday is something outside of our control. Simply unreasonable. But did that stop me from issuing the warning to him?

No.

The truth is, I don't like Lincoln. Sure, he's handsome, and my body comes alive in his presence but there are no feelings of affection of any sort coursing through my veins whatsoever.

I'm positive that's what's happening to him.

I'm not stupid, I see the desire in his eyes. The guy isn't exactly subtle.

And as much as I HATE to admit this...the feeling that is coursing through my veins is the same as his: lust.

But I won't act on it.

I can't.

And he can't either.

Which means he has to physically stay as far away from me as possible as this small cabin of his allows.

This morning, Lincoln left a note saying he and Carsen were going into town to retrieve groceries.

I took that time to explore his humble abode.

Three rooms, two bathrooms, an average living room, and a kitchen were what made up his home.

I didn't know what to expect from Lincoln but it sure wasn't this.

In the living room, I saw a framed picture of him and his mom, and my heart broke at the sight.

She was grinning beside what appeared an eight-year-old Lincoln who was missing his two upper teeth.

Her bright green eyes stared into the camera with so much love the reminder of her ending was heart-rending.

Which makes me briefly wonder about Lincoln's father. Considering he hasn't brought him up and I don't see a picture of a male pictured anywhere there are two options: one, his father died when he was little, or two, he ditched as most men do.

But I won't ask.

It's not my place.

Heck, just opening up to him yesterday felt like I was skinning myself alive.

It takes a lot for me to open up to people but I am willing to give Lincoln the benefit of the doubt.

The alternative is to put up with his semi-arrogance and cocky remarks and risk growing gray hair from the constant bickering.

After waiting around for a little over an hour, it's clear Lincoln won't be arriving anytime soon.

Heading to the kitchen, I decided to survey the space.

I hate touching people's things when they aren't home. It's disrespectful but my stomach growls in protest. Wait–

I pull out my phone and text Lincoln.