Chapter 31

(November 2nd, 1963)

Over a year has passed since Noah's been living with Elliot and he has completely lost hope of seeing his siblings and Five again. Sometimes that thought drove him into another unstable state, others he just tried to focus on the present and attempted to enjoy his time. That was what he was doing today.

He liked to think he was better... he didn't cry as much and slept more than when he first arrived. But the self-harm and eating disorder was only getting worse.

Noah and Elliot sat at the table, a Monopoly board laid out in front of them. The boy organized his money and proudly adjusted all his mini houses on his properties as Elliot rolled his dice.

The dice stopped bouncing around and landed on a 2 and 6. "Ha! 8 moves! You're going to jail!" Noah laughed.

Elliot rolled his eyes and moved the shoe piece to jail. "We've been playing for 2 hours, how long does it take to win this game?" He groaned.

Noah shrugged, "No idea... but I'm winning." He smirked and rolled the dice. He moved his dog piece the right amount of times and looked up. "I'm bored, though,"

"I was waiting for that." Elliot nodded with an airy chuckle. "Wanna put this away, then?"

"Sure." Noah swiped everything off the board and shoved it all in the game box, he could organize it later.

Elliot and Noah made their way outside and headed down the alley. "So, kiddo, what do you wanna do today?" Elliot questioned. "We can do whatever you want." He offered with a smile.

Noah shrugged, watching their feet as they walked, "I don't care. I'll do whatever you do." He muttered. At least Elliot was trying. The man has been making him do fun things ever since he found Noah-... uh, anyways...

"Noah," Elliot called, waving a hand in front of his eyes.

Eight looked up, snapping out of his thoughts, "Huh?"

"You hear what I said? We should go watch a movie."

Noah hummed in agreement, "Right, sorry, yeah. What's playing today?"

" 'Lord Of The Flies,' apparently."

Noah cracked a smile and looked back down at his feet, "That's certainly a creative name." He chuckled. "Yeah, we can watch it. I'll pay." He informed me.

Elliot gave him a strange look, "Where'd you get money from?"

"Places." He shrugged with a sly smirk. The two turned a corner and an old white dude came into view. "Hello," Noah whispered to himself.

As soon as the man was close enough, Noah bumped shoulders with him and slipped his hand into the guy's pocket without him noticing. "Watch where you're going, kid!" The man shouted over his shoulder and angrily walked away.

"So sorry, sir." Noah apologized with fake empathy. He looked down at the leather wallet in his hands and opened it, "Jackpot." He chuckled, sorting through all the money.

"Did you just pickpocket that man?" Elliot exclaimed quietly.

"...Yes?"

"That's illegal!"

"Not if you don't get caught." Noah shrugged, putting the wallet in his pocket.

Elliot huffed in defeat and pinched the bridge of his nose, "What am I gonna do with you?" He muttered.

"Put me up for adoption?" Noah suggested.

"Nope. Don't give me ideas."

Noah's jaw dropped, "Rude!" He playfully hit his friend's shoulder and chuckled lightly.