105

Matt Donovan wakes up barefoot and in cold sweat in the Armory after experiencing a series of visions that he learns from a recently-returned Alaric Saltzman and Dorian are from a necklace he wears around his neck belonging to his ancestor, Ethan Maxwell, who was apparently affiliated with a coven of Bennett Witches in 1790.

Elsewhere, Elena and Nahele, still possessing Amelia, take Stefan back to Mystic Falls. And when they got there, back at the Salvatore home, a recently humanized Stefan suffers from the guilt of killing all the victims of his emotionless self.

Caroline calls Damon to tell him Stefan is wanted by several states for the murder he's committed, but then he soon gets a visit from Cade, who has come to tell him their deal is off and he is free as Stefan is now human and of utterly no use to him. Cade takes advantage of this situation and gives him until midnight to find and handover the Maxwell Journal before midnight or he would recall Stefan's spirit to hell forever.

Caroline arrives at the police station and has assured the police it was all a misunderstanding and telling Stefan it was not his fault but Cade's after they reunite.

Stefan affirms that Cade would still want him to keep killing as the year is not over, but Caroline updates him on Cade's new deal with Damon: he wants the journal and if he gets it by midnight he will be free to live a full, long human life or otherwise be damned.

Nahele helps Bonnie reconnect with her magic, converting her magic into earth magic.

Damon rushes to the Armory where, after Alaric, Matt and Dorian find out he wants the journal, he is vervained by Alaric as "you don't give the Devil something without knowing why he wants it". They believe the answer resides within Matt's psychic connection to his ancestor Ethan Maxwell, through the Witch Talisman, and stabilizes his visions with hypnotherapy, which an imprisoned Damon ridicules despite it immediately working.

Matt is placed in the hypnotic trance and sees the life of Ethan Maxwell from his point of view, seeing that Ethan was the spokesperson of his family in 1790 before its subsequent founding 70 years later. At the time, the town was being plagued by cannibalistic murders and his family created the Maxwell Bell and the most powerful family of witches in the town – the Bennett Family who were also the respective leaders of the Bennett Coven – spelled it with powerful magic that would drive the-then unknown threat out of their town by unknown means. They also bound it to the Maxwell Bloodline so only they would be able to use it.

Matt sees Ethan have a conversation with Beatrice Bennett, the daughter of the coven leader as they were apparently in a romantic relationship and planning for that night when they would drive out the Sirens. At that moment Sybil and Seline approach the lovers and ask to speak to him alone, much to Beatrice's curiosity as they were sirening him to go with them.

Meanwhile, Nahele leaves Amelia's body and she's back to her old self again.

While Caroline goes and erase any records of Stefan being in their database.

Back in the Armory, Matt continues to have visions of 1790 where Ethan learns what the Sirens are: servants of the Devil whom they then give the Staff of Arcadius to add to the Maxwell Bell, which will corrupt the Bell's magic so on the twelfth ring it will open a direct link to hell and summon hellfire that will destroy the entire town.

They psychically forbid him to breath a word of the ordeal to anyone. Later at the Witch House, he fashions the staff into the Bell and encodes a message for Beatrice informing her of the siren's mind control. She sees it the moment he rings the bell for the first time. The psionic frequency mentally hurts every one of the 100 witches who had gathered around the bell and Beatrice informs the hundred witches of her coven of this despite her own pain as Ethan continues to ring the bell. Beatrice urges them to combine their respective powers and create a spell that'll stop it before the twelfth ring. They are too late to stop the twelfth ring and the second the hellfire immerged, the witches' combined might was strong enough to hold it back, but the cataclysmic nature of the combined magical and psionic forces at play is strong enough to give Matt, a mere spectator, a heart attack present day.