Prologue

It was hot.

Not the kind of attractnesdness. Literally burning Embers and toxic smoke coming down in my small apartment.

How? Why was this happening?

Flashback to two hours earlier.

Earlier, I had invited some friends over to celebrate overcoming one of my career milestones. Book sales of my new book had just been sky-rocketing. 

I was nervous and excited. (Best friend name) had brought out Bungo Stray Dogs DVD collection and watched some episodes.

Strangely smell burning wood and gasoline. At first, I thought mund playing tricks. But then crackle started...

Present.

As I stood there amidst the dark smoke and raining sparks and debris coming down, I saw the flames moving in. Slowly blocking off means to escape.

Most of my friends, but one already jumped out the window into the street below, but me and best friend. Who insisted we needed to leave.

A creak above, a wood about to come down on top of us, my body moved before I could think, pushing her out of the way,watching her roll, and tumble near the window.

Thank goodness.

Something hot and heavy dropped down on top of me, fell to the ground. something wet trickled down forehead.  saw me, a flash of horror. calling my name. made a move towards me. I shook my head, telling her. " dont. You need to go. get out of here (best friend)."

 She'll be safe. She had so much to live for. people cared about her. apart from the job, I had absolutely nothing but my Bungo stray dogs collection and research materials for my book. devasted going up in flames.

My Favourite Dazai plush with it.

With one last look, I watched as she jumped out that window to safety. I was truly alone.

Tears welled up in my blue eyes and sadness. I'll never be able to make it to my first book signing.  Hope parents get what they deserve.

Never got to finish the marathon and watch the new season 4.

I felt a lick of flame touch my clothing and slowly started to burn me alive. The last thing I heard was crackle of flames. Soon, I couldn't breathe anymore. One last exhale.

Everything turned black.

.

.

.

"You died. My condolences for your loss." Not the first thing I'd expected to be told by an unknown god in traditional Japanese robes.

Deep down, I knew. I only nodded.

"Thank you.  Your deities were only doing your jobs. I had long accepted part of the contract made long before birth and followed to fate. even trapped, burned to death in my own home alone. "

But there was one question.

"What happened after my... passing?" I had to know, for closure.

" Your friends reported your parents to the police on site. They were arrested and thrown in jail for their crimes."

It was a small relief justice would prevail.

There was but a deep burning wish within me. A secret I had always longed for but had been out of reach, an impossible in my world except in fanfiction.

One world I wished to be, to find a place to belong and find the one.

"Wish granted. As a small token, here is a gift belief to be fitting of an author as yourself. Use it well. " the death entity says.

Their hand gently touched my forehad. I felt wash of energy wash through me like water.

Twirl of lime green line with strange symbols surrounded me with a flash of warmth and light of a bubble.

"Whoa."

"Glad you like it. I wish you a prosperous and best in your new life. Farewell." The gods voice slowly faded into the background until it was an echoed.

My eyes became heavy and closed them. The faint sound of a familiar theme song played. A new life and beginning awaits.

End of Prologue.