CHEAT

@nevermore-baby

pairing: ajax petropolus x afab!reader

warnings: light angst, hurt/comfort, allusions to cheating (nothing actually happens), fluff in the end

word count: 1.6k

The sound of the clock ticking was getting annoying. You were waiting for Ajax - he was supposed to meet you 15 minutes ago for your weekly movie night, but he didn’t. He did send a message that he’s being held up by some important-but-boring business and that he’ll come as soon as he’s out. It wasn’t uncommon for Ajax to be late, but he’s rarely late to meet you.

You were bored to death. You typed a message out, asking Ajax to tell you where he was and that you wanted to go meet him on his way. Mentally thanking yourself for not changing into your pyjamas, you quickly threw a coat on to go looking for Ajax.

You didn’t make it far before hearing some muffled voices. Not many people were out of their dorms right now, so you just followed the sound that led you to the library.

“See you tomorrow then!”, you heard someone chirp - Enid, your best friend, you guessed seconds later, and the next second the door of an empty classroom next to the library swung open, making you almost bump into Ajax.

“Oh, hey there!”, he said overly enthusiastically. “I didn’t know you’d come, just so your message. Let’s go!” Ajax grabbed your hand, basically dragging you in the direction of your dorm.

“Was that… was that Enid?”, you said, breaths breaking up your speech - Ajax was walking way too fast for your comfort.

“Oh, yeah. It was. We were, um, doing a project together”, Ajax said, not sounding very sure.

“A project?” You didn’t remember anything being due. “What kind of project?” you wondered, getting confused.

“It’s a- it’s a literature project! Remember, me and Enid, we take literature together. Anyways, why are we talking about school? It’s the weekend!” Ajax said as you reached the door, opening it and pulling you in for a kiss right away. You didn’t have time to respond, or any desire to talk about school actually, so you went along with his plan.

Ajax came to the dorm late the next day. And the day after that. It was weird, but projects tend to be time-consuming, you thought to yourself, trying to calm the growing anxiety inside you. You were sitting at the dinner table with Enid, Ajax about to join you in a minute.

“Are you guys gonna work on your project tonight too?”, you asked, nudging the pasta on your plate.

Enid looked up, brows furrowed in confusion. “What… what project?”

“The literature one. The one you’re working on with Ajax?” You tried to help, worry about building up inside. You really needed this project to exist and not be a cover up for something… something bad.

“Oh yeah!”, exclaimed Enid. “No, we’re actually, um, taking a break today. Been working a lot on it and it’s a while before it’s due. Right, Ajax? No project today?” Ajax has just reached your table, sitting down.

“Right, I’m all yours today, baby”, he said, smiling widely, and you couldn’t help but smile in response, but something about this conversation didn’t sit right with you.

________________________________________________________________________

The so-called “project” was on the backburner of your mind at pretty much all times. Enid was your best friend, and Ajax was your boyfriend, and neither of them ever gave you a reason to think the worst, but the anxious thoughts were getting the best of you. When another evening was passing by in the misery of loneliness, you decided to go seek entertainment with your best friend. Ajax has been sensing your worry, so he assured you that today he was just hanging out with Xavier, so Enid should be free.