chapter twenty - eight

ONE YEAR AGO

 ONE YEAR AGO

NOVEMBER 10TH, 2014

Jane asked a million questions in the last hour, but in reality it was really only five minutes. " So, you were bit by a radioactive spider ? " I folded back up my suit, putting it back into my drawer, " Pretty much, yeah. " She sat there with an amused expression, " Woah. "

" Exactly. ", Dustin added, scrolling through his phone. " Are you a superhero or just like, I don't know... a vilgtante ?  "

  " Well, I'm not a vilgtante. " Dustin piped, " She's a hero. " Jane nodded, then stirred up some more questions, " Why do you keep your suit there ? It's a very obvious spot, you know ? You need a hideout or something. "

  " Fair point, but I don't exactly have a hideout. "

  Jane had brought us to the old cabin her and Hopper used to live in, before they moved in with Joyce

  Jane had brought us to the old cabin her and Hopper used to live in, before they moved in with Joyce. Apparently, the property still belonged to Hopper — and Jane refused to let him sell it, because when she was old enough she wanted it.

  " Follow me. ", She waved, leaping over a log. Dustin and I followed along until we arrived at a large tree. " What's the big deal ? ", Dustin said, with his hands on his knees, attempting to catch his breath. 

" Look up. "

   There in between the branches sat a large tree house, and that made me wonder, how come she never told me about this ? " It's kind of my hideout, I come here to — I don't, relax ? ", She spoke, as if she read my mind or something.

  " Awesomee ", Dustin dragged out as Jane pulled down the latter. One by one we climbed inside, me being last. I took in the scenery of the room, noticing the small polaroid pictures of the party and old memories hung up on fairy lights.

  There was a framed picture of me and Jane on her 14th birthday, cake icing smeared on her face, with me laughing at her side — did I mention there were little pink hearts drawn rignt next to me ? I couldn't help put smirk to myself.

  She must've of noticed me looking, because she snatched the picture from my hands with, her face a flamming red.

" I'll take that. "

   I laughed, leaning up against Dustin shoulders. " I was thinking you guys could use this as I hideout, only if you let me in on this superhero stuff. " Dustin out - stretched his hand for a high five, " Deal. "

  " No. ", I disagreed. It was far too dangerous, what if some lunatic digs deep into my personal life and could pointentlly find out who Jane is.  " No ? ", She rose a brow, " Well, why not ? " I ran my fingers through my hair, " Because, it'll keep you out of danger. "

  Dustin made a face, " You don't seem to care that I'm apart of it. " Jane nodded, agreeing, " Yeah. It's ' dangerous ' for Dustin too. "

  " That's because I basically live with Dustin, and he'd most likely go snooping in my room. He couldn't even keep his nose out of things the moment I started acting ' suspicious

Jane let out an irritated groan, " I can take care of myself. "

" Plus, now that I know there's nothing you can really do to make me forget. "