BONUS: Philosophy (spoilers)

There might be SPOILERS for the fic below

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

All discussion here is about the characters, not the content creators. 

Conditions which have to be met for Owen to change his mind:
1. Someone has to stop him. Someone like Apo. How can Apo do this?
2. Owen currently has a fixed mindset. We need him to understand people can change, can choose to change, and grow.
3. In order for anyone to change their mind about anything, they need to first be receptive to new information, so Owen needs a way to deactivate his overdeveloped sense of danger and feel safe. This will be easier before Owen remembers, so there will be past conversations in this fic.

(LAST WARNING: THIS PAGE CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR OUTSIDERS AND FOR THE FIC IN GENERAL)

1. Someone has to stop him. Someone like Apo. How can Apo do this?

___A. Apo needs more information to be ready. He needs to know exactly who he's dealing with, without a doubt.

_____i. The memory Apo remembers about Owen would have more effect if it was personal- Apo needs to see and/or interact with Owen before the maze, and survive.

___B. Apo's personal growth storyline must stay intact. We don't want a role reversal (for the purposes of this fic). (Although I would be interested in reading that if anyone wants to write it? Lethal Serotonin, anyone?)

___C. Apo is fairly non violent. How can he defend himself when he values the group's well-being above any individual, including himself? (This is why his character growth is paramount) ((Post-writing note: I could have done more with this, if I hadn't forgotten. Oops))

_____i. The story's natural canon growth lends itself to resolution of Apo's self worth, but does not give Apo the permission or ability to defend himself. Maybe an unresolved fight or flight reflex?

2. Owen currently has a fixed mindset. We need him to understand people can change, can choose to change, and grow.

___A. Owen believes that demons are like scorpions. They can't change what they are. He believes jaguars can't change their spots. He believes fully in a fixed mindset, one that marries disposition with species. Further, to abandon this belief would be to abandon everything he is and his entire past.

___B. Owen needs to think about traits that make a demon what they are and realize the only common thread is horns: basically a disillusion of stereotypes.

___C. Owen needs to apply growth mindset to demons. He needs to realize demons can also choose to change and grow. He needs to see and recognize change in demons.

___D. Somehow, it needs to occur to Owen that he can change too. He needs to give himself permission to find out who he is without being a hunter. Another character could give him permission maybe.

___E. Finally, Owen can begin to pursue redemption. He will have to prove to the others that he has changed.

_____i. Note: Owen's redemption requires someone Owen has to prove himself to. The most effective way to show this would be with Apo, which means their friendship must be truly dissolved from Apo's POV. This will be extra difficult as Apo is needed to forgive Owen, stop Owen, save Owen, and then give up on Owen in very quick succession. No one should be expected to do this irl. If you are in a dangerous situation, the best thing you can do is value yourself and get out. If it is not possible to get out, do what you can to protect yourself. This fic is a study into Owen, not Apo, and is swiftly turning into how-many-times-can-we-juke-Apo's-charscter-development. Readers, it's not healthy.

3. In order for anyone to change their mind about anything, they need to first be receptive to new information, so Owen needs a way to deactivate his overdeveloped sense of danger and feel safe. This will be easier before Owen remembers, so there will be past conversations in this fic.

___A. Owen losing his memory is the perfect time for him to build friendships and challenge his fixed mindset. Unfortunately, Owen is also a pessimist and possibly a nihilist.

___B. Someone needs to ask Owen about what he believes, listen, and ask why. If Owen feels safe enough, he can make choices about what makes sense to believe without even realizing it.

_____i. If you are interested in this possibility and the philosophy behind it, read How Minds Change. Link provided in the chapter external thingy.

_____ii. I've relied too much on Apo in this fic. It can be Apo in the past, but not in the future. Everyone will be sharing this burden except for Apo, who will need even more character development to grieve and let go. See 2.E.i.

___C. Owen needs to return to his new beliefs after regaining his memories. Children, it's going to be a rough ride. Strap in.

_____i. People left who could talk to Owen: Graecie, Ori(memory loss), Red, Guts, Rasbi, Krow, Ayngel, Magic, Bek, Soup, Kyle, Acho