13. Depression 3/3

Apo stayed in bed for several days. Red had stayed by his side, bringing him water and food, trying not to disturb him. Apo had to admit to himself that Red was a good friend, far better than Owen had been. Well, definitely better than Owen was now. Apo felt guilty for ditching Red at the dark maze, now. He didn't want to admit that he'd been wrong, but perhaps Red deserved more credit than he'd given him.

Apo's friendship with Owen was gone. Owen, Apo's friend, was gone. Apo didn't know the Owen who was left behind. Apo wasn't sure he wanted to know the Owen who was left behind.

These four thoughts chased each other through Apo's head as he stared at the wall, watching the light in the room change. Afternoon. Night. Morning. Evening. Sunrise. Then suddenly, he couldn't stand it anymore. He had to get out. Out of bed, out of the room, out of the building, out of the maze. Apo got up, left a quick note and apology to Red (who probably deserved more), and took his fishing line out into the maze he knew the best. It was early morning, with the sun barely peeking over the eastern wall of the maze. He had time, as long as time was steady.

As soon as Apo passed through the threshold of the maze doors, he felt a heavy weight slide off his shoulders and chest. Apo was home.

Well, he wasn't exactly home. He didn't have a home anymore. But he felt more at home here, alone, then he did anywhere in the clearing, even in Red's house. Apo felt a prick of shame, and then one of loneliness. He turned towards the left, heading deeper into the maze.

"Apo!" a voice called.

Apo turned and saw Ayngel running towards him. He shrank back from her, checked his escape routes, and climbed up one of the vines to a ledge.

"Apo," she called again. He couldn't decide if she sounded angry or desperate, but neither was particularly good news for him.

"What do you want, Ayngel?" He called. His fingers fiddled with a knife he kept on his belt. She saw it and stopped a good distance away.

"What is wrong with you!?" She shouted, her voice twisting with emotion. Apo held still. "I mean, what's wrong with Owen? What did you do to him?"

Apo chuckled. He couldn't help it. "What did I do to Owen?" Apo had fought tooth and nail for Owen's life. Owen was the one who had said they weren't friends. Owen was the one who had tried to kill him. Owen was the one who had murdered Rasbi's sister and Apo's family. Owen was the one to refuse every olive branch Apo had extended.

Ayngel shifted from foot to foot, looking around at the maze. "What happened?"

Apo felt his eyes start to tear up. He blinked them away. Focus, he told himself. "Owen..." Apo started, but couldn't finish. How could he tell her everything that had happened? What did she know?

Ayngel glared up at him, one hand on her hip, the other clenched into a fist. "I thought you two were friends before you killed my clearing."

"Owen's not my friend," Apo blurted. Then one of the tears escaped. He hastily wiped it away. Apo hated how much it hurt. He hated to show that to Ayngel.

Ayngel looked ready to erupt. "Are you- are you crying!? What did you do to Owen? It's not enough that you exposed my clearing to danger. No," Ayngel held up a hand to silence Apo's protest, her voice rising. "I know you didn't know, but it still happened. But now you have to destroy our leaders too!? Why does he think I want him to kill demons, Apo? What did you do to him? Did you feel bad for being only half demon? Did you feel jealous? Not to mention how. How did you convince Owen that he'd already killed demons when none of the demons in your clearing are dead? But what I really want to know is, why? Why won't he come out of that wretched cell?" Ayngel glared up at Apo, chest heaving after her rant, and he realized she was also holding a knife.

"...what?" Apo breathed, and then the shuddering started. His brain was short circuiting.

"Well!?" Ayngel demanded.

Apo tried to think. Owen was in prison. Ayngel must have visited him. What had Ayngel said? He hadn't heard the second half, he was too overwhelmed. Owen thought she was asking him to kill demons? "D-do you want to kill demons, Ayngel?" Apo asked, taking another step back. His heart sank. How many people were there in the world who wanted to kill demons, and why did they all find him? Apo didn't want to kill humans or anyone anymore. He just wanted peace.

"What the fuck, Apo," Ayngel shouted, rocking back and then forward. "No! Is this what you did to Owen? I don't hate demons, just one particular half demon. The one who's apparently convinced the entire clearing that Owen-"

"It's true, Ayngel!" Apo interrupted. He prepared to repeat himself again, to rip off the scab that had started to form. "Before the maze-"

"Save it," she growled at him, teeth flashing. "At least I'll know never to trust you. Stay out here. Don't come back."

Apo staggered as Ayngel turned and ran back to the clearing. When he could no longer see her retreating form, Apo's knees buckled. He lay gasping on the ledge for what seemed like hours, thoughts whirling.

Owen... admitted to hunting demons. Of course he did. What was Apo missing? Ayngel didn't want Apo to come back. Ayngel hated him and wanted him to die. What else was new. Ayngel didn't hate demons, (only him,) so why would Owen think Ayngel did? And, had she said Owen felt guilty?

Apo dragged himself to his old home in the maze to think things through.