16. Krow's Question 2/2

"See, Krow? He was normal," Ayngel explained to it. "I mean, he wasn't normal, not for Owen, but he wasn't, you know-"

"Crazy? Racist? Murderous? I don't know, Ayngel," Krow said, kicking a rock in the path. "He seemed really attached to that bottle. What did Guts call it? Apo wine?"

Ayngel paused, looking over her friend. Krow seemed preoccupied to the point where it was just walking. Ayngel gently led her friend toward the fire pit.

"Sorry Ayngel, it's just. When do people deserve a second chance? Oh hey Apo," Krow called. Apo was coming from the direction of Soup's house. "Like Bek, for example," Krow continued. "She's supposedly turned over a new leaf, she's a whole new person, woooo." Krow fanned out its fingers in mock excitement.

Angel turned to watch Apo turn to walk with them, then awkwardly follow them at a distance. She started to tell Apo they didn't have to hang back, but then realized they might not be comfortable with her. Ayngel looked down in shame. "Yea," she murmured to Krow, "How does a person even make good on a second chance? What if they can't be given another chance?"

"Apo, you don't have to hang back there all awkward," Krow called, almost offhand. Ayngel stiffened but managed to mask her surprise.

"Oh, right," Apo said from behind them, "I was just looking for Magic. But I can look for her walking with you all."

Ayngel fidgeted. This was unbearable. "I'll go. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable, Apo. I can go." She turned to leave, but Apo caught her arm.

"No, it's alright," Apo said, then let go as if her skin burned them. "You don't have to. Go, that is."

"Wow. Yeah, come over here and be awkward. Okay," Krow pushed ahead towards the fire pit. It paused, then turned back towards Ayngel and Apo. "Magic's over here," it called. "Magic, can I talk to you? What exactly does a person need to do to deserve a second chance? I'm confused." Krow plowed on as Magic looked up from staring at the fire. It pointed its thumb over its shoulder at Ayngel and Apo, "Because everyone's forgiven Apo, who pulled the lever to our clearing. Apparently we're giving Bek a second chance even after she directly killed a lot of people, you almost being one of them, Magic. But Owen hasn't killed anyone. Theoretically, what would he have to do to deserve a second chance?" What would I have to do to deserve a second chance, it didn't say aloud. "What's the difference between them?"

Magic's eyebrows rose. She blinked at Krow, then over Krow's shoulder. Apo was staring at Krow like their world was breaking apart, again. But as Magic watched, Apo shook themself and their face went neutral. Magic saw Ayngel give Apo a side eye, but she hadn't seen the moment Apo let their feelings show.

Surprisingly, Apo was the first to speak. "Owen doesn't feel regret," they said. "He would probably still try to kill me."

"But-" Ayngel said, then pressed her lips together. She shook her head.

Krow smirked. "Haven't you heard? Apparently, Owen is retired," it said, frowning and turning to face the two coming up on the fire pit. "He says he won't kill demons anymore, especially not for someone else."

"Oh, how comforting," Apo deadpanned sarcastically. His eyebrows rose when Krow stared levelly at him in a silent question. After several tense moments, Apo continued. "Owen also said we're not friends, you know." He'd never be friends with target practice like me, they didn't say. Then a horrible thought crossed Apo's mind. What if they just weren't enough of a demon? Krow was some kind of super demon, they knew. What if Owen had said that to Krow? Surely Krow was worth lying to, but then surely Krow wouldn't believe a lie like that. "Who did he say that to?"

"Um, me, actually," Ayngel squeaked, really not wanting to get between the two demons, who were now glaring at each other.

Magic smiled sadly as Krow and Apo stared at each other. "So he finally realized it, huh?" She muttered to herself. But then she frowned. What if Owen was just lying to get out? There would be no way to know, she thought.

Apo was also frowning. Owen had told Ayngel he was retired? Yeah right, and they were a full demon. Even if they trusted Owen's words, Owen could always change his mind later.

Krow sighed, frustrated. "No, but that's not the point! We're forgiving Bek, who directly murdered people we cared about," it said, turning to Magic, "and you're giving her a second chance even though she almost murdered you. Why? Why give her a second chance?"

Magic blinked, startled to be the one in Krow's laser-focused gaze. "She came back," Magic started to explain. "Bek came back and she was sorry."

"And you knew that wasn't a lie because?" Krow pointed out, trying and failing to soften its gaze.

"Because," Magic started, but then frowned. "...I don't know if I really trust Bek," she admitted. "There might always be a part of me that is wary around her. But there's also a part of me that sees the best in her."

"So," Krow said, steepling its fingers, "you forgive her because you believe her? You believe that she's sorry. Which, for the record, I don't." It waited for Magic to nod. It turned back to Apo. "And Apo, you flicked the lever. Why do you deserve a second chance?"

Apo sighed deeply, a full body grimacing sigh. "I didn't know you existed," they told the ground. "I wouldn't have done it if I had known."

"And that's why you deserve a second chance?" Krow pushed, insistent.

"N-no," Apo said, a look of fear plastered over their features. "I don't know, I just want to be useful, and I wasn't doing any good in the cell, or in the maze."

Krow leaned back, pleased. It allowed a flash of a smile towards Apo, who recoiled. Krow frowned again. "So we forgive Bek because Magic believes she's sorry, and we give Apo a second chance because if he'd known, he wouldn't have done it, and he wants to be useful now. Right?" It waited for someone to nod.

Finally, Ayngel nodded, eyes wide. "Where are you going with this, Krow?"

"So theoretically," it continued, "Owen would either have to be convincingly sorry, or show that he wouldn't kill demons if given the chance anymore. And show that he's willing to be useful to the group. Right?"

Apo scoffed. "He won't," Apo threw the words out like a shield, like they could stop the grief that was building inside them. They'd only just come to terms with the fact that Owen cared so little about them in the first place.

"But if he did-"

"He WON'T," Apo shouted, then turned and ran. He couldn't, because then Apo would be wrong to leave him behind. And Apo wanted to leave Owen behind. Apo just wanted to forget about the friend who had denied that friendship, who had tried to kill them twice, who had killed their entire family without even noticing it had been Apo he'd sent to the capital. Apo wanted to move on.

Krow frowned, watching Apo disappear between the buildings. It ran its fingers through its black hair, pulling the hair back slightly from its red horn. "What do you think?" It asked Ayngel.

Magic frowned, then turned towards where Apo had disappeared. "I'll talk to them," she sighed. She didn't know why Krow's assessment bothered her so much. Why did Magic want to believe that Owen had changed? And why didn't she believe it?

Krow turned back to face Ayngel, who shrugged. "It's so not up to me," she said, "I was never in any danger from Owen. It just seems like he wouldn't..." she trailed off, shaking her head. "It's hard to picture Owen killing."

"Really!?" Krow scoffed. "Didn't you hear Apo when they came back? We're all murderers," Krow chuckled, trying to keep its tone lighthearted. Please forgive me, it thought but did not say to its best friend. I don't want us to end up like Apo and Owen.