19. Long Night 2/5

At Soup's house, Red was discussing devotion and loyalty with Kyle and Acho. "I mean, you two are close. How did that happen? Organically, or...?"

Kyle and Acho glanced at each other, then Acho answered, "We've always been close. I don't know."

Kyle added, "I've just always felt the urge to check up on them, to make sure they're safe. To protect them from anything or anyone who means them harm."

"Fascinating!" Red murmured, leaning forward. "Do you think you knew each other before the maze?"

"Graecie! Soup! Lava!" came Magic's gasping voice from outside. Everyone looked towards the door.

When Magic didn't immediately appear, Kyle called, "We're in here, Magic. Graecie and Soup aren't here."

Red turned as well. "What's that about lava?"

Magic dashed in and looked around, confirming to herself what Kyle had said. Her eyes were wild and her breaths were gasping. "There's lava, in the mines. It's rising. We have to get out. We're going to burn. Everything is going to burn."

Acho took in Magic's state of disarray and gravitated towards her. Magic had always seemed to have it together to them. Seeing her so shaken was disconcerting. "Magic, calm down. Are you okay? What happened?" They handed her a cup that they were going to offer to Kyle.

Magic pushed the cup away. "No, no, the lava is coming now! I have to find Graecie, and she can organize everyone. We have to leave. We have to go into the maze." If Magic didn't have everyone's attention before, she did now.

"Which maze!?" Kyle demanded.

"We know everything about the regular maze, and there isn't a way out. The dark maze though..." Red trailed off at a glance from Kyle.

"Are you sure?" Acho asked, their hands twisting the cup they held.

"Graecie," Magic blurted, and turned to run out of the house.

Kyle jumped up to follow, wincing but running after her. Acho and Red were not far behind.