24

I can't believe Sam would say something like that to me.

Nate's death hurt me, it affected me, I lost my baby because of it.

I never thought, out of all people; it's Sammy to blame me for Nate's death.

— Jack J's POV —

I over heard what Sammy and Avery were screaming outside and it got my blood boiling.

I can't believe he would say something like that to Avery.

I stormed out to the backyard, just in time for him to climb out of the pool.

"Hey Jack. Your sister is a SLUT." Sammy shouted at me.

I gripped his shirt in my fist and used my other hand to sock him in the face. Sammy fell onto the grass and I stood over him, repeatedly punching him in the face.

"Don't EVER talk about my sister like that ever again." I said.

I punched him until there was blood. "You're going to regret everything you said to her, come near her again and I will kill you Sammy." I said and punched him one last time before he blacked out.

At this point, he was sobering up slowly and knocked out, I honestly don't give a fuck about him.

He blamed Avery for Nate's death. That shit's fucked up.

I stormed into the house and ran upstairs to see her bedroom door closed. I stood in front of it and knocked.

"Avery." I called out and repeatedly knocked on the door.

No answer.

"Avery. Please open up. It's Jack." I called out again.

The door unlocked, I opened it up and walked in to see her nowhere. The closet door was slightly opened.

I walked in to see her sitting on the floor with photos and photos of Nate on the ground. Her face full of tears.

"Avery." I said softly.

"It's my fault he died. I killed Nate." She said.

I sat down next to her and wrapped my arms around her. "It's not your fault. Don't listen to Sammy and his stupid lies." I told her.

"It's my fault." She cried out. She picked up a photo of Nate and just her.

She brought it close to her and gave a small kiss on the photo.

"Sammys right. If I didn't make a big deal of Nate kissing me, he would still be here, alive. It's my fault, I got him killed." She said and picked up another photo of Nate.

"Stop blaming yourself for his death, you didn't do anything wrong Avery Johnson."  I turned her to face me and I stared at her as she stared back at me with her glossy eyes.

"Don't ever blame yourself for his death. Ever. I do not want to hear you say it's your fault for Nate's passi-

"Then why did he die. The only person who pushed him away was me. He tried apologizing and I wouldn't let him. It's my fault. He died wondering if I hated him for kissing me. He died because of me. I pushed him away. He died not knowing if I forgave him or not. It's my fault Jack, don't tell me otherwise. He's dead because of me. Stop saying it's not my fault. It's my fault Jack and I fucking hate myself for it." She said.

I watched as she wiped her tear stains and put Nate's pictures back into the box.

"Please just leave me alone. I want to be alone." She said and stared past me.

I stood up and looked at her one last time, before walking out of the closet.

I walked out of her room and closed the door behind me.

— Avery's POV —

Jack left me alone and I took one last look at the box filled with pictures of Nate.

I have to forget about him, every time I think about Nate. I think about how it's my fault that I killed him.

I opened the box and took one picture out to save it. I put it away and picked up the box, and carried it downstairs to the backyard.

I grabbed a lighter on the way out, "Avery what are you doing?" Jack said. I turned around to see Gilinsky standing before me.

"What are you doing here?" I said and set the box down in the campfire. I got some sprigs and grabbed the lighter from my pocket.

"Avery don't." Jack stopped me and grabbed the lighter from my hand.

"Jack let go. I have to do it. I want to forget about Nate." I reached for the lighter.

Jack gripped onto it and calmed me down.

"Why do you wanna burn his pictures. Don't you wanna keep it for memories." He held onto me as I cried into his chest.

"Every time I think about Nate, I know it's my fault for killing him. I have to forget about him. I just have to." I said and quickly grabbed the lighter from him.

"AVERY NO." Jack yelled after me but it was too late.

I lit the sprigs of tree branches on fire and threw it with the box of pictures. I stood there and watch the box go up in flames. It was too late, it's too late. But I kept one picture of Nate. I knew that if I burned them all and not kept one behind, I'll regret it one day.

My eyes got glossy again as we all stood around and watched the box of Nate's pictures burn into ashes. I fell to my knees and cried out.

(I wrote this while crying, I was watching Obx s3 before publishing this chapter and I'm still emotional)

I felt someone put their hand on my back as I cried my heart out at the fact that I burned every single memory I had with Nate. It's gone, it's all gone.

A familiar whiff of cologne surrounded me as Jack wrapped his arms around me.

"You're okay. Let it out my love." He whispered in my ear.

I cried and held onto Jack. I felt my body go weak as I let every single memory of Nate fade away.

This is going to work, I have to forget about him. It's time for me to let him go.

I felt my eyes slowly close as I heard everyone around me call out to me.

"AVERY NO." Jack called out. I fell into his arms.

-

I woke up in a white room and saw a familiar figure standing over me.

I looked up to see Nate staring down at me.

"Nate?" I furrowed my brows. My vision became clear as he held out his hand. I grabbed it and Nate pulled me up.

"Hey you." He said and pushed my loose hair behind my ear.

"Nate what is this." I asked him.

"You fainted. And woke up here." He said.

"I saw you burn my pictures." Nate suddenly said.

"I had to." I softly said as I felt tears run down my face.

"I know. I understand why you had to. I don't blame you at all for my death. I did it to myself, I died because of something stupid I did to make you hate me." He said. Nate's eyes got glossy.

"Nate, I don't hate you." I said and wrapped my arms around him.

"let me go. You have to let me go." Nate's voice faded away and I woke up to see everyone staring at me. Jack was sitting on the edge of the bed staring directly at me with a worried look on his face.