The 48

It might have been the sunlight shining directly on my face or the pounding headache I had that woke me up. I had to shield my face from the light as I got up from the ground. I slowly rose to my feet, being mindful of my throbbing head. I took in my surroundings, leaning against a nearby tree, and made note of the silence. One would be wrong to think it was a normal day.

The events from the night before flooded my mind. The foxholes being overrun. The Grounders infiltrating camp. The ring of fire burning all of them to a crisp. At least, that was what we hoped.

I had no way of telling if the plan really worked since I did my best to run as far away as I could. There could've been a Grounder watching over me at that very moment.

The thought alone sent a shiver down my spine. I couldn't stay here. I had to move.

I pushed myself off the tree and started to head in a direction I believed would get me farther away from danger. My surroundings were unfamiliar to me so I moved blindly. I still had my gun, locked and loaded with the last bit of ammo I had on me. Anyone trying to sneak up on me wasn't going to know what hit them.

I was alone out there. Everyone I knew, everyone I fought for were safe in the dropship. They were all back at camp. My mission was to get back to them. To Bellamy.

The last time I saw him was right before we went to the foxholes. I wanted to think he made it inside the dropship, but I didn't know. Maybe he didn't make it. Maybe he was captured. All the maybes and what ifs ran through my brain as I picked up my speed. I couldn't waste any more time.

I heard the rustle of leaves to my right, and I dove down behind a boulder. I adjusted the gun in my hands, doing my best to slow down my breathing. Any noise from my spot, and I was dead. The movement got closer to me, this time I could hear multiple footsteps.

It didn't work. The Grounders won and were out for blood. I was trapped where I hid with no way to escape. I had no choice but to fight. My efforts would barely make an impact on them but I'd try.

The footsteps got closer, most likely within a 50 feet radius. Thirty feet. Fifteen feet. I peaked around the left side of the boulder, trying to see if I could get a head count. All the trees and the overgrown shrubbery were in the way. It could have been their whole army.

"Hands up!"

I spun around and was met with a gun aimed at my head. But that wasn't what was took me by surprise. It was the person holding the gun. Someone from the Ark.

"Kane! It's one of the 100."

I followed their orders as they took my gun away. I couldn't believe they were down here on Earth. They actually made it. So what I saw in sky wasn't the Ark naturally coming to an end. It was our people fighting to survive. And if they were able to land down here alive, Lily could be down here.

Behind him, Marcus Kane, the righthand man of Chancellor Jaha, came into view, along with many others. They all shared the same look we had when we first landed on Earth, faces full of wonder and curiosity. If only they experienced what we went through.

"Athena Morris. I recognize you from the video calls." he greeted with Abby Griffin, Clarke's mom, behind him.

"Hi." I said, the only word I could think of.

"Are you alright?" Abby asked and came up close to me, examining my forehead. "You have a slight cut. Don't worry, it'll heal just fine." She took out a cloth from her backpack and started to wipe away the dried blood.

Sinclair, the Chief Engineer of the Ark, walked forward. "Are you alone? Where is everyone else?"

I shook my head, placing a hand on Abby's arm and moving it away. "I don't know where they are. I was alone when I was knocked out. I only just got up. You haven't seen anyone?"