I Am Become Death Pt 1

All that was left of the Exodus ship was debris and fire. The wreckage was triple the size of our camp, consisting of huge chunks of the metal and scorched trees.

We had been searching for almost an hour and a half for any sign of survivors, discovering nothing but charred remains of those on the ship.

I furrowed my eyebrows, looking away from a single rib cage. It was all I was able to find, everywhere I turned. I was surrounded by the sight and smell of death. No one could have survived it.

I spotted Clarke not far from me with her eyes glued to the ground. I couldn't fathom what she was going through. She had been wondering around aimlessly the whole time we were there in hopes of finding her mom. I wanted to tell her to head back, to leave this to the rest of us, but it wouldn't have made a difference.

I would have done the same thing as her if I knew Lily was coming down in the ship. I wouldn't have rested until I found her body to confirm if she was alive or not.

Bellamy and Finn started to fight again about the meeting yesterday. Like it was going to make the other see reason all over again.

"Clarke, stop!" Raven shouted, dashing over to her in a hurry.

They were by an intact piece of the rocket jet, some liquid dripping from a hole. The engineer knelt next to it and dipped a small rock into the ground before shouting, "Fire in the hole!" and throwing the thing across the site.

Once the rock hit the ground, a mini explosion erupted and tiny pieces of dirt flew from the spot.

"We need to clear the area." she advised.

"Okay, then." Bellamy shouted, adjusting his hold on the riffle. "We move in formation, no straggling, weapons hot. We got to get back before dark."

We left and made our way back to camp on high alert. I kept my focus up to the trees, seeing as that was the Grounders' favorite place to play hide and kill.

I had an itching feeling as if we were being watched, as if the Grounders knew we were there and wanted to toy with us. Were they waiting for the right moment to strike? Were we too defenseless with only four people with guns?

I had almost fired when I heard some dead leaves crunch to my right, although it just happened to be a bunny minding its own business.

We finally made it back to camp, sadly at nightfall because of how slow we were going. Upon entering the place, I noticed those at their posts were vigilant, along with everyone else. A big commotion floated around, and I caught a few words of what they were saying. Something about Murphy being back.

Someone said he was held up in the drop ship, and Bellamy bolted over there, anger already fuming from his body. Clarke and I followed after him, pushing past people before entering the ship.

Murphy was against a wall, curled into a ball. He had cuts all over his face and arms with dried and fresh blood on them. He could barely keep his eyes open as he looked at us from his spot.

I thought he was dead the moment he went out on his own. He was free game for the Grounders after I said he was to be exiled for what he did. Never did I think I'd be standing before his battered body. It was like he was a damn cockroach.

"Everyone but Conner and Derek out. . . Now!" Bellamy ordered, stepping in front of the banished man.

"He claims he was with the Grounders." Derek explained on his side of guarding Murphy.

"We caught him trying to sneak back into camp."

"I wasn't sneaking." Murphy corrected with his labored breaths. "I was running from the Grounders."