Earth Kills Pt 1

I couldn't sleep that night. It was hard to ignore the fact that so many people were forced to get their wristbands taken off just to eat. Because of that, the Ark was thinking we were dying off one by one when reality, we were just fine.

Aside from Jasper.

It had been 3 days, and he wasn't getting much better. With no medicine, there was nothing to ease his pain. Clarke was doing the best she could, but she wasn't a licensed doctor. I found out she was Clarke Griffin, daughter to the head doctor on the Ark who was also on the Council. It shocked me because her mother was responsible for sending all of us to Earth, sending her own daughter. Then again, Wells' dad did the same thing. Those two were definitely not parents of the year.

I could hear Jasper moan again from my spot outside the drop ship. Some people were annoyed, yelling comments like, "Shut him up, or "Can he die already?".

There was another sound that caught my attention, a sort of whimpering near a tree not far from me. I stood up and went towards the shaking body the sounds came from.

It was a young girl with light brown hair, almost the exact same age as Lily, and she was having a nightmare. I touched her arm and gave it a light shake.

"Hey, wake up."

She sprung awake in an instant, the fire behind us illuminating the tears that stained her cheeks. Her body was tense, and she looked at me with frightened eyes.

"It's okay. It's okay." I soothed, helping her sit up. "What's your name? I'm-"

"Athena." she finished. "I heard your name from someone else. I'm Charlotte." She curled herself into a ball against the tree.

It made me think back to when Lily woke up crying from nightmares after our parents were floated, and I'd be right by her side to comfort her, running my hand through her silky blonde hair until she fell asleep in my arms.

I smiled and sat down next to her. "Do you want to talk about your dream?"

She didn't say anything for a while, a moment of silence blanketing over us. I learned with Lily's nightmares it took a while for her to feel comfortable or ready to say what happened. Rushing made it harder for her to open up.

"I-It's my parents." Charlotte began, whipping her cheek. "They were floated and I see it in my dreams and I just-" It was becoming too much for her.

"Shh," I shushed, carefully draping a comforting arm around her shoulders. "It's alright. My parents were floated, too."

"Really?"

I nodded, staring up at the sky. The view of it down here was completely different and, dare I say it, more beautiful. I wondered which one of the 'stars' was the Ark.

"Really. I miss them, so, so much." I looked back down at her. "And it's okay to miss them that much. It means you'll always carry their memory in your heart."

It wasn't helping. She seemed sadder than before.

"Wanna know why I was put in the Sky Box?" I asked. I held my left hand up and folded it into a fist. "Punched a guard right in the face."

Charlotte perked up to that. "What? Why?"

I shrugged, opening my hand, and looked at it as if I was checking out my freshly done manicure. "Because he looked at me the wrong way." I snuck a glance at her, seeing her face scrunch up. "Nah, I'm just kidding. No, I lost my temper when they refused to give my sister- stepsister more food."

"You have a sister?" she questioned, tears no longer streaming down her face.

"Yup, and she's up there. Somewhere." My eyes found their way back up to the night sky. "That's why I believe all this can work. If we show the Ark that it's fine to live down here, that we've changed, they could come down here."