The Calm

Two days had past after the virus infected the majority of us and the explosion halted the attack on camp. We expected some sort of follow up within hours of having done so, except there was nothing but radio silence, like the communications with the Ark.

After Unity Day and the Exodus ship crashing, we hadn't heard a thing from the space station above. It worried me. No, it terrified me. Clarke had said there was only a short amount of time left till the oxygen ran out. The ships were going to bring everyone to Earth before that even happened, and because there was no contact, we didn't even know what the next step of the plan was. Every hour, every minute, every second was numbered.

"Hey, Earth to Athena."

I blinked a few times, leaving my occupied head back into the present. Octavia had bumped my shoulder as we walked back towards camp with wood for the smoke house.

With the threat of the Grounders, we all had gone into over drive, adding more people on posts along the walls and making camp more in order. We built a small structure to store and cook all the meat gathered. It sucked it took being targeted by the Grounders to get work done.

"Are you okay?" she asked, clutching her arm full of wood.

I shrugged, holding mine. "Nothing, just a lot on my mind."

She began to chuckle just as we got through the gates. "Does any of that include my brother?"

"What?" I shot back loudly, staring at her with wide eyes while others looked to us in curiosity.

"You know what I'm talking about." she poked, nudging me again. "I've seen the way you two look at each other when the other doesn't know it. You kept checking on him when he was sick from the virus."

I rolled my eyes. "Of course I did. I was doing that with everyone before I got sick, too."

She shook her head rapidly right after. "No, no. The difference between what you were doing for the others and what you were doing for Bellamy was so much more different. You were always within inches of him."

Octavia had no idea what she was talking about. I gave everyone my undivided attention. There was no favoring anyone the whole time.

"He did the same thing for you."

We entered smoke house, placing a few of the logs into the dying fire pit. Even though the fire was low, the heat in the small place hit my face hard.

"Would you stop it, please? He didn't do that. He was busy with making sure everyone got into the drop shop prior to when the Grounders came. And when I woke up from my second nap, he wasn't there." I reasoned as I took the rest of the wood from her and taking it to its designated basket.

"Actually, he did. He stayed by your side once he felt better, and he only left because the hunting party asked for his help."

The logs needed to be rearrange, so I kept my back to her.

She stomp to another part of the hut. "Come on, Athena. Don't deny the obvious flame between the two of you." When I didn't say anything in response, she scoffed. "I mean, someone told me the two of you kissed."

My hands spazzed and came together, jumbling the logs together and dropping them on the floor. "What?" I goaded, spinning around and facing her. "Who saw us?"

Her mouth hung open, and her eyes grew to saucers. "Oh my, god. I-I was just kidding to bother you. You guys kissed?"

So I was the one who spilled the beans. Sometimes, you can be your own worst enemy. "It was nothing, an accident." I muttered as picked up the fallen wood.