The 100

"Hey, that's not enough." I said, pointing down to the plate that was less than half full with food.

The old guy on the other side of the service window sent me a simple shrug. "Sorry, that's all she gets."

"Athena, it's fine." Lily whispered next to me, grabbing the plate and preparing to walk away.

I slammed my hand on the metal counter. "No, it's not fine. This is less than what she had last week."

The guy chose the wrong person to mess with.

"Step away from the window before I call the guards." he warned, the corner of his eyes wrinkled as he glared at me.

"Like hell. I won't leave until you give her more."

The guy pressed a button to his left and a beeping sounded throughout the dining hall.

My chest tightened as I heard the chatter of people around us falter. "Hey! You didn't need to do that. Just give her the damn food."

It was something so simple. All I wanted was more food for my sister. It was already hard enough to stay just above starving with the way we lived, and this man was making it worse.

Lily tugged at my arm, using her strength to drag me away. Her efforts didn't work, and I remained where I was. Those who weren't before were now watching what was taking place, eyes full of curiosity. Most likely feeling some sort of relief the alarm wasn't meant for them.

"Is there a problem here?" a tall blond guard asked, arriving with another behind him like bellhops at hotels people used to stay in.

"Yes, there's a problem." the old guy said as I said, "Yes, sir, there is."

"This brat won't leave the window."

"And this ass won't give my sister more food." I growled.

"Miss, this is causing a scene. Please move out of line."

My mouth dropped. I wasn't surprised, but part of me wanted this to be the one rare time they were on my side. "Are you kidding me? You're telling me to walk away when this dying piece of garbage is robbing us of a proper portion of food?"

They didn't to care because then the blond placed his hand on my back and began to push me to the side.

"Don't touch me!"

I resisted and tried to go back to where I was standing, but the other guard got involved. He grab onto my right arm and pulled me towards him.

Some people confidentially say how they'd handle situations and judge the decisions of others. Problem with that is they don't know exactly how they'd react until they go through it themselves, their true fight or flight response. I always thought I'd comply and be the rule follower I tried to be. Never in a million years did I expect myself to reel back my free arm and make my fist collide with the guard's face.

Everything went silent as the guard stumbled to the side. It took a second for my mind to register what I did. I fucked up big time.

"Oh, my god. I-I'm sorry." I said as dread washed over me.

"That's it." the guard said, straightening himself and rubbing his cheek. "You're under arrest for resisting orders and assault."

No.

They both grabbed my arms and guided me away. Again, the fight within me came out and I struggled against their holds, throwing myself back towards Lily. My brown hair bounced all over the place and my green eyes were wide as saucers. I must have seemed crazy.