Earth Kills Pt 2

Atom's screams had ceased after awhile, making me wonder if he was able to get to safety like us. Since then, we made ourselves comfortable, the acid fog seeming to never end. I had helped Charlotte get settled on the floor, giving her my jacket to use as a pillow, and she was out like a light.

How she could sleep in a time like this, I had no clue, but I sat against the wall by her side, ready to be there if she had a nightmare again.

"What's that?" Bellamy asked. He was laying next to me with the front part of his body at my feet.

I furrowed my eyebrows and followed his gaze down to my back, noticing that my tank top was riding up and revealing my letter to Lily. Octavia gave it back to me after we brought Jasper back, and since I didn't have a room or anything to myself, I kept it tucked in my jeans. I pulled down the hem and looked back to Charlotte.

"That the letter Murphy talked about?"

"Why do you care?" I questioned, playing with the zipper of my jacket since it stuck out towards me. "It's just a piece of paper."

I could see him shrug and adjust his position. "Just wanted to fill the silence."

We went back to that silence, and now that I was made aware of it, it was unbearable.

Damn him.

I sighed.

"It's a goodbye letter to my step-sister." I revealed, removing a small rock that was poking my side. "I wrote it the day I was going to be floated. When I saw her, I'd have given it to her, but the council had other plans and decided to send us down here."

"Happy belated birthday." he said in response.

"Thanks," I said, a loose smile on my lips. "and it was great. Ready to be floated and then literally thrown out of space to a place they were uncertain if it was habitable." I let out a loud laugh, covering my mouth to muffle the sound. "Definitely one of the top five."

In a messed up way, it was sort of funny.

He laughed with me, crossing his arms. "You said step-sister. How'd that happen?"

My smile dropped, and I took a deep breath. "Um, it's a long and sad story."

"We've got time."

I rolled my eyes and stared at him. He sent me a lopsided smile, his eyes glistening with mischief.

I chuckled. "Okay, fine. How do I begin?"

I thought for a moment, How do I begin telling someone who's pretty much a complete stranger about my painful life? Especially to this guy, the guy with the hidden agenda. But something about him just seemed strangely comforting. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to tell him.

"Well," I started. "While my mom was pregnant with me, my dad was worried that she wasn't getting enough food so he stole a little bit more for us. But- but he got caught and was floated straight away. My mom was really sad after that. I look so much like him that she would sometimes burst into tears at random moments." I sighed. "I thought she'd never move on."

He remained silent, and I continued.

"Then, Lily and her dad came into our lives. I was seven, she was five. At first, it was weird having these two people become part of my tiny family, but then, the idea of them not being there was weird. And my mom, man, she changed. She was so happy with him. He saved her."

"How are they now?" he asked.

I stared down at my lap, fighting back the sudden tears that tried to escape. "Uh, a couple years back, it was just any other day. I stayed at home watching Lily while my parents left to be together. Hours had past, and I got worried because they never stayed out late without checking in." I took a deep, shaky breath. "Guards showed up at the door and said we had to go with them because my parents were detained for being part of a protest or something. They took us straight to the air chamber, and they were already inside." It was getting hard to breathe. "They weren't even a part of what happened, but Chancellor Jaha still floated them."