The Ground

Everyone went into a frenzy after that. They all rushed out past Octavia, hollering and cheering as they jumped around the woods. I stepped off the door and onto the ground. I knelt down, my hand grabbing a fist full of dirt. It was damp and yet, it crumbled easily through my fingertips. I laughed and stood back up.

"Holy shit." I said.

Octavia, who was close by, ran up to me and held my arms, a smile etched onto her face. "Athena! We are on Earth."

"I know! I can't believe it."

She let go of me and noticed the letter still in my hand. "What's that? You've been holding onto that since we've been in the drop ship."

"Oh," I looked down at it, realizing I had forgotten about it. "This is for my sister." She expression changed, "Oh no, my step sister."

"Step sister?"

I nodded. "Yeah, my dad and her mom were both floated a long time ago, and our parents met and got married. Since they technically didn't have two kids together, it was fine for us to be family."

"Lucky for you." she replied. "I guess the cat's out of the bag about why I was in the Sky Box. Unless you already knew about it."

I frowned. "No, I didn't. I'm sorry you were forced to live in secret just for being born. It must have been rough."

She waved me off. "It was, but, now that we're down here," she said, surveying the area. "I can do what I want."

Bellamy came up behind her and draped his arm over her shoulders. "Not on my watch."

"Shut up." Octavia muttered, but leaned into his touch.

It made me miss Lily even more.

Her brother's dark eyes met mine. "Thanks for the backup earlier."

I nodded, slipping the letter under the waist band of my jeans. "No problem. I thought 'The First Girl Who Stepped on Earth After One Hundred Years' sounded better than 'The Girl Who Lived Under the Floor'."

"Well," he said, sticking out his hand. "any friend of Octavia is a friend of mine. I'm Bellamy."

"Athena."

His hand engulfed mine as we shook hands. I took note of how it was smooth and rough at the same time. I drew my hand back, mentally kicking myself for holding onto his for too long.

Not far from us, a crowd had formed around Wells, the blonde girl from before, and a group of guys.

"We're just trying to figure out where we are." Wells explained to the group.

"We're on the ground. That no good enough for you?" Bellamy said, walking over. Octavia and I followed.

"We have to find Mount Weather."

What? "Hold on, we didn't land there?" I asked.

"No, we didn't. You all heard my dad's message. Our top priority is to find it." he replied.

"Screw your father." Octavia said. Her comment hit Wells, as if he was just finding out people didn't like his dad. "What, you think you're in charge here, you and your. . . little princess?"

"Hey," I whispered, gently touching her arm.

She was being hard on the guy, hell, everyone was. All he was doing was figuring out how to get all of us food so we didn't die of starvation.

"Do you think we care who's in charge?" the blonde stated, coming in defense for Wells. "We need to get to Mount Weather. Not because the Chancellor said so, but because the longer we wait, the hungrier we'll get and the harder this'll be. How long do you think we'll last without those supplies?"