Prompt 15

Prompt: There's someone or something living and moving up in the attic - but it's not a ghost.

For years, the Johnson family had heard strange noises coming from their attic. At first, they thought it was just their imagination, but the sounds continued, growing lower and more persistent as time went on.

One night, as the family was gathered in the living room watching TV, they heard a loud crash coming from the attic. Mr. Johnson sighed and got up, muttering about critters up in the attic. He grabbed a flashlight and a ladder and made his way up to investigate.

As he shone his flashlight around the dusty space, he saw something moving in the shadows. He froze, his heart pounding in his chest. But as his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he realised it wasn't a ghost or a critter after all. It was a person.

The man was thin and haggard, with wild hair and a scraggly beard. He was dressed in rags and looked like he hadn't seen the light of day in months. Mr. Johnson was stunned. "Who are you?" he asked.

The man looked up at him, his eyes wide with fear. "Please don't hurt me," he whispered. "I've been living up here for months. I didn't mean to scare you or your family."

Mr. Johnson was shocked. He had no idea how someone could be living in his attic without him knowing. But as the man began to tell his story, Mr. Johnson realised that this was a person who had fallen on hard times and was doing whatever he could to survive.

The man had lost his job, his home, and his family. With nowhere else to turn, he had broken into the Johnson's attic and made it his home. He had been surviving on scraps of food and water he could find in the house, trying to stay hidden and avoid detection.

As Mr. Johnson listened to the man's story, he felt a wave of compassion wash over him. He knew that he couldn't just turn this man out onto the streets. So he offered him a job, a place to stay, and a chance to get his life back on track.

It wasn't easy for the man to adjust to life outside the attic, but with the support of the Johnson family, he was able to start over. He got a job, found a place to live, and even reconnected with some of his family members.

Years later, as the Johnson family sat around the dinner table, they would often talk about the man who had lived in their attic. They were grateful that they had taken a chance on him and given him a second chance. They had come to know him as a kind, hardworking person who was just down on his luck.

As for the man, he never forgot the kindness that was shown to him by the Johnsons. He worked hard to rebuild his life and made sure to pay it forward by helping others who were struggling.

Whenever he visited the Johnsons, he would always take a moment to climb up to the attic and look around. It was a reminder of where he had come from and how far he had come.

Over time, the Johnsons became known in their community for their kindness and generosity. They had shown that even in the face of fear and uncertainty, compassion and understanding can go a long way.

As for the attic, it remained empty, a silent witness to a story of hope and redemption.