Prompt 74

Prompt: A fortune teller reveals that you are evil.

As a child, Amelia had always been fascinated by fortune tellers. She would beg her parents to take her to carnivals and fairs, just so she could have her fortune read by the mysterious woman with crystal balls and tarot cards. As she grew older, her fascination turned to skepticism, and she dismissed fortune telling as nothing more than a silly superstition.

It wasn't until she was in her late twenties that Amelia decided to give fortune telling another try. She was going through a rough patch in her life, and she was desperate for some kind of guidance. So when she stumbled upon a small shop in the city that offered psychic readings, she couldn't resist the urge to go inside.

The fortune teller was an old woman with piercing blue eyes and a voice that sent shivers down Amelia's spine. She asked Amelia to shuffle a deck of cards and lay them out in front of her. As the old woman studied the cards, she began to speak. 

"You are a very powerful person," she said, her eyes never leaving the cards. "But your power is not of the light. It is dark and dangerous."

Amelia was taken aback. She had always considered herself to be a good person. She volunteered at the local shelter, donated to charity, and never intentionally hurt anyone.

"I don't understand," she said, her voice trembling.

The fortune teller continued to study the cards. "You have done terrible things," she said. "Things that you are not proud of. You have hurt people, and you have enjoyed it."

Amelia was horrified. She couldn't think of anything she had done that was truly evil. But as the fortune teller continued to speak, memories began to flood back to her. The time she had spread rumours about a coworker to get ahead. The time she had cheated on a test in college. The time she had stolen money from her parents.

She had always justified these actions to herself, telling herself that they were necessary for her own success or happiness. But now, hearing them spoken out loud by a stranger, she couldn't deny the truth.

Tears streamed down Amelia's face as the fortune teller finished her reading. She left the shop feeling shaken and confused. Was she really evil? Had she been living a lie all these years?

It took Amelia a long time to come to terms with what the fortune teller had told her. She started to see a therapist, and she began to make amends for the things she had done in the past. It wasn't easy, but she knew it was the only way to make things right.

Years later, Amelia could look back on that day with gratitude. The fortune teller had revealed a truth that she had been hiding from herself for far too long. It wasn't an easy truth to face, but it was necessary for her growth and healing. And in the end, it had helped her become a better person.