Prompt 77

Prompt: Write a story about visiting a haunted house.

It was a dark and stormy night when my friends and I decided to visit the old abandoned house on the edge of town. We had heard rumours for years that the house was haunted, and we wanted to see for ourselves if the stories were true.

As we approached the house, we could feel a chill in the air. The wind howled and the trees rustled, creating an eerie atmosphere. The house itself was an imposing structure, with broken windows, peeling paint, and a general air of neglect.

Despite our fears, we decided to press on and enter the house. As we stepped inside, we were immediately struck by the musty smell and the darkness that enveloped us. We could hear creaking floorboards and the distant sound of dripping water.

As we made our way through the house, we saw strange things that made us all jump and scream. We saw shadows moving on the walls, heard footsteps when nobody was there, and felt cold spots that sent shivers down our spines. 

As we explored the house further, we came across an old room that was covered in cobwebs and dust. In the centre of the room was an old rocking chair that was slowly rocking back and forth, even though nobody was sitting in it. We were all frozen in terror, not daring to move a muscle.

Suddenly, we heard a loud banging sound coming from upstairs. It sounded like something heavy was being dragged across the floor. We knew we had to investigate, even though we were all scared out of our minds.

As we climbed the stairs, we could feel the tension building. The banging sound grew louder and more persistent. Finally, we reached the top of the stairs and saw a faint light coming from one of the rooms.

We cautiously approached the room and peered inside. What we saw made us all scream in terror. There was a ghostly figure standing in the corner, its eyes fixed on us. We could see through it, and it seemed to be beckoning us closer.

We all ran out of the house as fast as we could, never looking back. We knew that we had truly experienced the terror of a haunted house, and we never wanted to go back again.