Ch. 12: Hasselback Hustle

A couple days later, they were coming upon their first town.

"Bittyburg, sounds interesting." Anne said as she read the town sight.

"Don't get too excited, Anne, it's just an ordinary small town."

"I know but still, this is the first place we've seen outside of Wartwood. I want to check it out." Anne said as Sprig was whittling a new cane for her.

He found a strong looking branch along the way and decided to owe up to his mistake from before.

"And your cane may be finished by the time we make it there." Sprig said, "Sorry... about the previous one."

"It's fine. Just be sure to think and look more before you jump into a situation." Anne said before feelings shiver down her back.

'Why do I feel a sense of irony saying that?' Anne thought as the fwagon made it to Bittyburg.

"Oh wow, this is a small town." Anne said.

The town was incredible small, like the size of toy doll houses while the frogs were the size of toys!

"So, I would ask if we're just passing through, but I think we would cause damage if we took the Fwagon through there." Anne said.

"Well the path through town looks wide enough but I think it's best we stir the fwagon around the town." Hop Pop said to Anne.

"Agreed." Anne said.

"Can't we still explore a bit? Maybe we could restock on stuff we need too." Polly said, wanting to tower over the smaller frogs in the small town.

"I don't know, after the previous incident, I don't want to risk it."

"It's a small town. Everything should be fine if we watch where we step." Sprig said as he stop whittling, seeing his finished work on Anne's new cane. "Plus, it'll give you a chance to test your new cane."

"Fine." Anne said.

Parking the fwagon on the outskirts of the tiny town, the Plantars and Anne go off to explore the tiny town for all it could offer.

"Geez, some of them are as big as a Copper." Anne said.

"I've heard of frogs like this but I've never seen them in person." Hop Pop said as they walked through the town, greeting all of the "bitty frogs."

Suddenly they heard a noise. This caused the bitties to stop and worry, recognizing that sound as the Plantars looked confused by it.

"What is going on?"

"The Hassleback Gang is coming!" One said.

"The Hassleback Gang?" Anne asked, confused.

"They're a gang that has been attacking the town for as long as its been here!"

"They always demand a "protection fee" but we need protection from them!" Another one said as they all ran inside of the tiny buildings.

Anne let out an inhuman growl.

"Anne, down girl." Hop Pop said.

"But these people need help." Anne said to him.

"Anne, you just recovered."

"And you said I should think before I act. Don't you think you should take your own advice?" Sprig asked Anne.

"Unlike with the ruins, I'm thinking of a way to beat this gang."

"By yourself? Anne, that's dangerous and reckless!" Sprig said.

"And that's coming from Sprig of all frogs." Hop Pop said to Anne.