Epilogue

"-Ellie come to Cerberus who wants to play with you!-"

The little blond girl who had started walking not too long before came trotting in her denim onesie and mini leather jacket, awkward but confident, toward the big old dog. Oh yes he had finally stayed. Frau Töpfer still saw him almost every day, but when she had returned home after a month, she had realized she was too old to take care of him, and he had become one of ours. In her old age she had stopped wanting to kill everyone. I picked her up on the fly, she smelled so good, how I liked her, blond like Mom and bossy like Dad! I stole a kiss from her and released her at once. She hated any smooches that weren't from her favorite friend or that she didn't decide to give herself spontaneously but I couldn't resist every chance I got.

"-So, who has to grill on this shift? I'm telling you this time, I'm not moving a finger! I can't do everything all the time, I'm on vacation one month and I'm enjoying it- "

"- Ok ok this time I'll sacrifice myself, even though I'm of a certain age- " exclaimed Alan.

"-And yet at home you are not so old- "

Cleo gave him a sly look in a sudden motion of good-natured cheek. Alan turned red and began to fake cough. We all laughed when I turned the knife on him and told him he absolutely had to show up for that cough.
A car stopped in the dirt road in front of the garden. Little Ellie ran there, too, in the direction of the car, screaming with joy. Lilly followed her with her eyes until her daughter was safe in the arms of his uncle who brought her back while she hung around his neck with both arms handing out slobbery kisses as only children can do.

" -You have finally arrived, you have been waiting all morning. And so have I -" she told him, kissing him after wiping his cheek with one hand. She had such a happy face him with his family, the one so longed for. Lilly, after confronting Hannah, who immediately returned to re-embrace her brother and then departed again, had confronted her father head-on. The fact that she was about to become a mother had given her the courage she had not found before. She shoved reality in his face without much ado and he was consequently forced to confront his wife, to tell the truth. Because he, her brother, deserved a family. Not to wander alone like a stray. He was not to blame for a grown man's escapes from his responsibilities. Lilly's mother is a truly wonderful person. She wanted to get to know this boy who had now become a man right away and talked with him at length in the presence of her daughter who did not let go of her brother's hand for a single moment. She took him in as her own son despite his initial bewilderment. The relationship with her husband would never be the same again or in any case it would take time but that boy terrified of love and emotions, with a life and experiences of suffering on the edge of the bearable, deserved to be loved in a family. She convinced him to take back his name because his mother had chosen it and she was sure, as all mothers do, that she had loved him dearly. He had taken back his rightful place. He was Jake Donfort. He was not like that when we met in person. He hardly ever smiled, and if he did it was almost as if he couldn't handle happiness. As if he wasn't used to it. As if he felt he never deserved it. Instead it was more than deserved I would say. You couldn't even give him a sudden caress that shifted as if he were going to get a slap in the face. He had suffered enough, not that we hadn't suffered but yes here I thought he had suffered more.

It wasn't just her waiting for him actually, I was waiting for him too, but I couldn't tell. I had to give him an answer that day but nobody knew anything. They were all going to make fun of me before my time. Like hell I would have given them satisfaction. Only she knows but she is my person and that doesn't count. In fact she actually asked me what I was waiting for to do this. I was so conflicted about this. I didn't think it was right. At first I was suffering from it, I felt guilty about it. Deeply guilty. But she realized that there is something different about me this time and she is rooting for us.
Dan gave him a friendly punch on the shoulder and then hugged him. And to think she wanted to kill him. I laugh too hard . Lucky for me he didn't.
Thomas also arrived with Julia his future wife. I adore her, she is really the perfect person for him, I adored her from the first time I talked to her on the phone. Actually the first thing that came out of Thomas' car was her baby bump. I was the first to know and I was the first to know the sex. And the name, too! I was so moved to know that they were going to name him Richard. I already got him a ton of presents and he still wasn't born.
Oh my God, I can't believe what I'm seeing. He waited until everyone was there to do it! He! He's actually doing it! In front of everyone! I hope someone is filming the scene because this is really the most wonderful thing ever and I couldn't imagine it.